What would this be worth today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would this be worth today?

What would £6537.00 in 1898 be worth today?

Linda

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/b...nged-1900.html

It only goes back to 1900, but that would be £661,217.55
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

Comment

There isn't a single easy answer to that ...it depends on how you look at it. Earnings, prices and purchasing power have changed at different rates - one of the reasons why our standard of living (for most people) is much higher now than 100 years ago.

If you just measure inflation according to RPI, then £6,537 worth of goods in 1898 would cost about £568,000 (up to 2010). If you looked at it from an earnings point of view, then someone earning that amount in 1898 would now be earning about £2.3million.

You can play about with the figures here:

measuring worth, inflation rates, saving calculator, relative value, worth of a dollar, worth of a pound, purchasing power, gold prices, GDP, history of wages, average wage, real wage, growth calculator, stock prices, historic stock prices, exchange calculator, stock growth rates, how much is that worth, CPI, RPI, exchange rates, relative worth, consumer bundle, interest rates, S&P accumulation, history of gold prices
      Last edited by AntonyM; 21-03-13, 23:09.
      Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
      Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thanks a lot, I suppose whatever way you look at it, it was quite a large amount of money

Linda

Comment

Hi Linda,

The Bank of England has a good page for this, you can calculate amounts back to 1750: -

So according to the Old Lady of Threadneedle Street that would be worth £719,520.82 in 2012

Best regards

Paul..

Comment

Cheers Paul..will bookmark that. This is the amount left in a will my a relative who was in the workhouse till he was 12 and trained as a tailor eventually on 1891 census employing 22 men. Must have taken a lot of hard work

Linda
            Last edited by Loopy Linda in La La Land; 22-03-13, 08:23.

Comment

A third calculator shows how difficult it is to calculate and compare.
              In 1900, £6,537 0s 0d would have the same spending worth of 2005's £373,001.22
              Try our online currency converter and find out how many animals, stones of wool and quarters of wheat you can buy, and how much you could earn.

But unlike TNA, at least AntonyM's suggested website discusses the various methods and problems. This other website links to several websites which cover this subject in the UK.
              Last edited by keldon; 22-03-13, 12:38.
              Phil
              historyhouse.co.uk
              Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Working...
              X