Help please! Gedcom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please! Gedcom

I've just downloaded to my pc (Windows XP) my Gedcom from Genes R.

It's now in my Pictures folder. However when I click on it I get a message saying 'The specified file cannot be identified as a supported type' - so what do I do now?

To be honest I'm not at all clear what a Gedcom actually is - other than it's a way of exporting my Tree from that site... can it be opened by me?
    Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Yes, you can open it, but you need a program that supports the .ged file format. Examples are Family Tree Maker, Family Historian and many others.

I suspect that you are getting that message because you don't have a family tree program installed, so Windows can't work out what to do with it.
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

Comment

you need a tree programme to open it ? do you have one ?if not familysearch do a free one

have a look at this https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/GEDCOM
      Last edited by Guest; 21-03-13, 17:18.

Comment

Thanks both. No I haven't got a Tree Program - so I'll look at that free one firsst.

Thank you very much
        Dorothy G

Comment

Well, have looked at that - and am totally confused :D

I don't understand most of the instructions on how to load the Gedcom - just not techy enough I guess

I'll go back to it tomorrow.
          Dorothy G

Comment

Dorothy scroll down this page and click on the PAF 5.2 English version it will ask if you want to open or save it, I would save the file first then when you have it on your pc install it
            Its really simple honest, good luck.
            Last edited by Guest; 21-03-13, 21:06.

Comment

Thanks Val.

Ok I've done as you said and saved it. So where is it now and what do I do now
              Dorothy G

Comment

if you go to the bottom left on your pc click on search and put paf 5 in your search you should find it click on it and install it , once you have it will open and give you a few options on what you want to do ,click on open an existing Paf file find yours click on it and it will hopefully open in the family search programme
                Last edited by Guest; 21-03-13, 22:21.

Comment

Val, sorry only just had time to do what you suggest.

So I've done that, and clicked on the Paf 5 English Version document. Which borught up a Security WARNING and asking if I wanted to Run it?
                  Dorothy G

Comment

It is just making sure that it is you trying to run the program and not a virus, and that you are sure it is the program you downloaded. Just answer yes.
                    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
                    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
                    Devine in Ireland

Comment

Petes right just say yes your almost there.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                        Petes right just say yes your almost there.
                        OK, done all that and now got a window headed:
                        FamilySearch™ Personal Ancestral File 5.2
                        Getting Started

Should I print off what it now says?
                        Dorothy G

Comment

I just saved it Dorothy, now you need to open the PAF programme by double clicking on it when it has opened click on top left where it says FILE then go to new FILE find your saved gedcom click on it and it should go into your programme good luck

Comment

Ok Val I'll do that later (when my hands have thawed out from feeding the birds!).

Thank you for your patience
                            Dorothy G

Comment

I did ours this morning almost got frost bite, but well worth it to see the birds.

Comment

I just saved it Dorothy, now you need to open the PAF programme by double clicking on it when it has opened click on top left where it says FILE then go to new FILE find your saved gedcom click on it and it should go into your programme good luck

Aaargh - don't understand that bit :(

Where do I find the Gedcom in order to put it in the New file?
                                Dorothy G

Comment

where did you save it ??? if you dont know then go to the bottom left of your pc and go to search then type in gedcom

Comment

Dorothy, you said in your original post that you downloaded your Gedcom and it was in your Pictures folder.

As you now have PAF installed, you should just be able to double click the Gedcom and it will open in PAF.

However I am not familiar with PAF so this may not work and you will have to go to the 'file' menu as Val has said.
                                    Devine in Ireland

Comment

Pete and Val - I'm sorry to be such a numpty on this :(

Yes Pete you're right, it's in my Pictures folder - so I double clicked on it and still got 'The specified file cannot be identified as a supported type'
                                      Dorothy G

Comment

Having remembered where I'd put the Gedcom - Just tried the above - the whole pc froze and locked, so had to manually switch off... so I think I'll have to leave it for now :(
                                        Dorothy G

Comment

Working...
                                        X