Reginald William Alley, b. 1900

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reginald William Alley, b. 1900

Can anyone help me find out what happened to this chap, please?

He was born in 1900 in Wantage, son of William Alley and Mary Ann Honor Alley (nee Goodwin). I have him on the 1901 census in Harwell, Berks, with Mary and her paents (William was away in the forces, I think); and in 1911 in Charlton and East Lockinge with both his parents and a shed load of brothers and sisters, but after that, nothing. He just disappears from view.

Can't see an obvious marriage or death, so wondered if he went overseas, but can't find him on any passenger lists either.

Any ideas, anyone, please?

STG
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

He served in WWI - Medal Roll Index card shows

Reginald W Alley Royal Berkshire Regiment, Royal Army Service Corps Regimental Numbers 5329716, M/5329716

No entry on www.cwgc.org so he did not die in WW1
    Last edited by CaroleW; 20-03-13, 22:37.

Comment

Oooh, interesting!

Reginald's father (and my grandfather) were both in the Royal Berks Regiment, so sounds logical that Reginald might join too. Wonder if he stayed in the Army?

Thanks.

STG

Comment

A Reginald Alley shows up in several places on ancestry, eg on the London Electoral Registers between 1946 to 1959

Is it possible that Reginald William stopped using "William"????
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

I suppose it's possible, Sylvia.

According to freeBMD there are three possible Reginald Alleys:
          1. Reginald William, b. 1900 in Wantage
          2. Reginald Edward, b. 1902 in Kingston
          3. Reginald, b. 1928 in Swindon

No. 2 - Reginald Edward - died in Hackney in 1958, so he's probably the one in the London Electoral Registers.
          and
          No. 3 - Reginald - died in Swindon in 1962.

There is a death in 1971 in Louth, Lincs of a Reginald Thorn Alley, b. 17 May 1900. No idea who he is, since he doesn't appear in the Birth registers. Could Thorn be William? Bit of stretch, perhaps?

STG

Comment

Too late STG, I was just about to come back and tell you exactly the same. I also checked for a birth of Reginald Thorn but non fit.
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

"My" Reginald seems to have two medal cards on Ancestry, one saying he served in Iraq! One gives an address in Maidenhead, but it seems to have been bulldozed now.

On the 1901 census (taken on 31 March 1901), Reginald is said to be 7mths old, so he would have been born Aug/Sep 1900, which makes the May birthdate of Reginald Thorn out as well.

This is sooooooo frustrating.

STG

Edited to say: Just Googled RBR in Iraq and see that they were indeed there from 1919-1920. Well, who knew!
              Last edited by SmallTownGirl; 21-03-13, 10:02. Reason: extra info

Comment

Yes STG, I was surprised recently when I was doing a friends tree and found one of theirs in Iraq at the same time.
                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
                  Edited to say: Just Googled RBR in Iraq and see that they were indeed there from 1919-1920. Well, who knew!
                  A historical sideline - a clerk in one of the offices in Iraq actually drew up the country's boundaries on a map. Like so many similar exercises (e.g. Israel, Palestine) it was done without any thought to ethnic groupings.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                  X