Help with 1891 census for Swansea.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with 1891 census for Swansea.

Using FMP, I have found Rachel M Boulton, aged 47 yrs, working in a pub in High Street, Swansea in 1891. Ref is piece 4480, folio 1, page 1. Unfortunately, I can't decipher the name of the pub and the schedule numbers for that page are not visible. I've tried an address search for High St, but each pub I clicked on didn't bring up the one I wanted, for which head of house and hotel proprietor was John Paradise. Perhaps it's not listed as the schedule number is not on the image??? I tried a search on Ancestry, inputting Rachel's details, then John Paradise, then the census ref number - but I didn't get anywhere with any of them In an 1887 directory, John Paradise was listed at Cameron Arms Hotel, High Street, Swansea. So, please can anyone with FMP see if they can work out the pub name on the 1891 image, or find them on Ancestry? (Sorry about the spacing, but ever since my computer did an update, a day or so ago, for some reason the return key doesn't want to work on this site ???????? and so I can't start new lines or paragraphs. )
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

I think it says:

High St
    Cameron Hotel

John Worsely Paradise is still listed there (as the Cameron Arms) in the Kelly's Directory in 1895.

It does appear that Ancestry are missing the first few pages from that Enumeration District .... their "Image 1" is actually page 9 of the ED.
    Last edited by AntonyM; 17-03-13, 17:00.
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

I agree with Antony. The hotel is called the Cameron Hotel in 1911 (do an address search on High St). Unfortunately the hotel name is not given in 1881 or 1901.
      People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
      Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Many thanks Antony and Webwiz Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Working...
        X