No announcement yet.

Is there a way to split a family tree?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a way to split a family tree?

I have FTM and ancestry linked and i have a tree with so much information that i would like to split it to keep 2 seperate files.

Is there a way with out delaeting the data that is already there and re entering it?

Sorry, Rainy, I'm not an FTM user, but since others are not answering, let me take a stab at it:

You can download a GEDCOM, definitely from Ancestry, probably from FTM, too. Last I tried, Ancestry does not provide much tree-manipulation tools, so you'll need to split your tree within your PC/Mac environment, then upload the new tree/trees back into Ancestry. You could then delete your existing tree.

Learning the new interfaces would be much easier than re-entering a tree that has much size to it! You would be much less likely to lose data.

I suspect FTM has a utility to split the tree. If not, there are free software apps that do: PAF - for certain, RootsMagic - maybe. Unfortunately you'll need to learn those interfaces to do that.

Hopefully an FTM user will let answer the question about how to split on FTM!

Good luck
    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 17-03-13, 13:53.

Comment

Have you tried these instructions?

Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thankyou Guys

Comment

make sure you back up your copy before you start to divide it just in case.
          Last edited by Guest; 24-03-13, 13:06.

Comment

Thanks Val, will do

Comment

Working...
            X