George Reginald Clifford

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Reginald Clifford

I am trying to find more info on my grand uncle George Reginald Clifford b. Q1 1909 Hungerford.
    The only info I have so far is birth & 1911 census where he is listed as Reginald George Clifford.
    Searching the British Newspaper Archive there are several reports from 1932,1933 &1937 in Devon of a George Reginald Clifford being convicted of arson,seems he had a penchant for setting fire to hay stacks !! .
    The age given for him fits with my George,however I have no way of proving one way or the other.
    I am unable to find a death for him.Is there any way I could prove/discount the Devon George ?
    Any suggestions as I am at a loss as what to do next .

Paul
    Last edited by PaulD1960; 05-07-13, 13:26.

Are you sure the age fit your's Paul? There is a death of a Reginald George Clifford in Devon in 1999 but he was born 12th Jan 1913 and there is a possible matching births for him under Reginald G Clifford.

I can't find a death that fits yours. I wonder if he emigrated or died in the second world war?
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Hi Chrissie,I have seen the Devon death however the birth does not match mine as my George is 2 years old on 1911 census.Like I said the ages given in all reports fit my George ( 23 in 1932,24 in 1933 & 28 in 1937 )

The only other clue I have is one of the reports says George suffered a head injury in a motor cycle accident when 12 years old..

Paul

Comment

Ok,I have found more reports of George in court again in Devon,where it states that he was born in Hungerford & that his parents were living in Reading. This fits as George's parents (my Great grand parents) moved from Hungerford to Reading c1913.I am now pretty sure this is my George,however still no trace after 1937.

Comment

I have tried googling 'reginald george clifford'+obituary and also tried reversing his names but nothing is coming up - sorry.

I am only guessing here but maybe the head injury was really really serious and he had to go to be cared for in Devon. I cant find anything for him on commonwealth war graves commision website like Chrissie suggested he may have died in WW2. maybe you can try to find some electoral rolls for the area that the Devon George lived in????
          Angelina

Comment

Where in Devon are these fires meant to occur and which newpaper is doing the reporting?

D

Comment

The fires were at Honiton,South Molton & Tawstock.He also had previous convictions at Barnstable,Exeter,Ottery & Tiverton.The newspapers were North Devon Journal,Exeter & Plymouth Gazette,Western Times ,Western Morning News.

Comment

Ages on death certs are very often wrong - they are only as good as the informant, who may just be making a guess.

Who were his parents please, so that we can eliminate the one born in 1913.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                  Ages on death certs are very often wrong - they are only as good as the informant, who may just be making a guess.

Who were his parents please, so that we can eliminate the one born in 1913.

OC
                  His father was Hugh Cecil Clifford b.1880 Hungerford,mother was Edith Clements b.1877 Hungerford

Paul

Comment

Working...
                  X