Please help me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me

I have been dipping in and out of doing my family tre for a few years now. I never seem to get any further along the with it. Can someone please guide me through the few basic steps I should be doing for each and every person in my tree?

I know that on my late Dad's birth certificate no father was named and straight away I hit a brick wall.

Please can anyone advise me on anything to help me.

First of all, was your dad baptised? If so the father may be named on the baptism register.

Secondly, when was he born? If it was before 1911 try to find the census entry for the family.

Third, what about electoral registers? He may have reached the age of majority whilst still living with his parents.

If none of the above apply, could you post a few more details e.g. name, date of birth, place of birth?
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

Comment

Tivvy.. if you look above your post on here you will see some headings in the navbar...

Date of Birth Estimator - Starting Out on Your Research - Online Research - The Census
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Micheal George Grace, born 2/8/1939, died 2/7/2012. I know his Mum (my nan - Gertrude Lucy Grace) and two other children - Herbie (Herbert - I think) & Charlie (Charles). They have all now passed away and I do not have any real way of finding anymore information. My Nan I believe had all three children out of wed lock.

Comment

He was born in Gloucestershire

Comment

How can I find out the birth records of both Herbie & Charlie? I have been looking for ages.

Comment

Did your grandmother die as a Grace or did she ever marry please? Also, do you know approx where or when your uncle Herbert or Charles died?
              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

My Nan died as White. Sorry I do not really know of any dates. I belive they both died on or around year 2000. Because of a family split I lost contact with my fathers blood line for a long time, and by the time I managed to get back in contact my Dad was to ill to help me out.

Comment

I thought that might have been your grandmothers death that I found tivvy. I believe it's this one - Gertrude Lucy White - born 20th April 1916 - Died August 1995 aged 79 Glouceste Gloucestershirer Register number C47 - District & Sub district 4831C - Entry number 200.

A corresponding birth would possibly be - Gertrude L Grace April-June 1916 - (mmn Reeves) Dursley ref 6a 466.

Comment

are you sure Herbert wasnt Ronald Herbert ? there is a birth for a Ronald H Grace in Mar 1941 Stroud Gloucestershire 6a 1050 mothers maiden name Grace

Comment

and a Birth for a Victor C Grace Jun 1936 Tetbury Gloucestershire 6a 556 mothers maiden name Grace

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                        are you sure Herbert wasnt Ronald Herbert ? there is a birth for a Ronald H Grace in Mar 1941 Stroud Gloucestershire 6a 1050 mothers maiden name Grace
                        thats a good point Val, both my Aunts had two names and both of them used their middle names as forenames..
                        Julie

Comment

quite a few of mine used their middle names too Julie especially if they were named after the father or mother suppose it wasnt so confusing?

Comment

I also had 2 uncles, I knew them as Herbie & Charlie. The information that has just been posted gives the names of Ronald H Grace (could te H be for Herbert - Herbie). The other was Victor C Grace (could the C be for Charlie) I wonder? It has got me thinking. If my Dad was born in 1939 his brothers must have been born near to this date?
                            Last edited by tivvyblue; 14-03-13, 15:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                              quite a few of mine used their middle names too Julie especially if they were named after the father or mother suppose it wasnt so confusing?
                              that's true, I think in the case of my aunts though, they plain hated their first names....lol.. Hilda & Fanny!! [I know I would!!]
                              Julie

Comment

I am having trouble finding a Herbert or Charles too.

I did wonder about a Victor Charles Grace who was born 12th Mat 1936 (mmn Grace) in Tetbury ref 6a 556 and died July 2003 aged 67 in Gloucester.

There is also a birth for a Ron... H Grace (mmn Grace) in 1941 in Stroud but I can't mention his full name as I can't find a death for him. I wondered if his second name was Herbert?

Comment

Oops - sorry - I've just realised that I was finding info with the message box open for so long that you've all beaten me to it!!

Comment

Originally posted by tivvyblue View Post
                                    I also had 2 uncles, I knew them as Herbie & Charlie. The information that has just been posted gives the names of Ronald H Grace (could te H be for Herbert - Herbie). The other was Victor C Grace (could the C be for Charlie) I wonder? It has got me thinking. If my Dad was born in 1939 his brothers must have been born near to this date?
                                    unless you can find baptisms for them Tivvy then I would get the certs.. you should have enough info then [mothers full name-occupation and address] to confirm if these are indeed your Uncles.. [you might even be lucky in having a relative register the births]
                                    Julie

Comment

Is it just knowledge of his brothers etc that you are looking for tivvy, or do you want to go further back. If you want to go backwards you will need your grandmothers birth certificate.

p.s. If you do order any certificates make sure you get them from here as many places can charge a lot more -
                                      Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 14-03-13, 15:21.

Comment

I want to go back as far as I can. Getting the birth cert is the way forward. I just would like to find where I come from. As I have my Dads birth cert, but no names father on it. I would just love to find out anything about my past. I know my Nan was a Grace when my dad and Uncle were born. As you might have also guessed my Nan did not seem to care as to who ever she had (Bedded).

Comment

Working...
                                        X