A Stubborn Brick Wall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Stubborn Brick Wall

Like many of you, I guess, I have several brick walls. The one I outline below has been hanging around for over 15 years.

Many years ago when I found the Will of a Gt Uncle at Somerset House (that's how long ago it was) I was very interested to see among the bequests one to Olivia Tregown of Marazion, Cornwall, cousin, wife of John Treglown, miner in Australia. This led to some very interesting findings here and Australia. However, I have never been able to establish the link between Olivia Treglown(formerly Edmonds, b.1832 St Hilary) and my Gt.Uncle William Richards (b.1811 Hoxton, Shoreditch, London). The only link I have is that William Richards Father (my x3 grandfather)Thomas Richards was born in Madron, Penzance, Cornwall in 1771. What did come from this finding, at that time, when I had only been researching a relatively short time, was confirmation that my family had indeed come from Cornwall.

At the time of discovery I searched for a long time trying to establish a connection but it was difficult because a cousin could stem from so many different people. My other thought has been perhaps "cousin" was just a term used for the purpose of the will and there is no blood connection.

If anyone has any thoughts, things to try - anything! I should like to hear.

Many thanks.

dreen22

Dreen. Have moved your thread to the Research forum - hopefully someone will come up with some ideas.

What was the date of the will?
    Elaine

Comment

Presumably this is the correct Olivia Treglown in the 1871 census
      Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Ref 2336/7/8
      Elaine

Comment

Is this your Olivia
        Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Paul

Comment

This looks like the marriage to John TREGLOAN
          Name: Olivia Edmonds
          Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1861
          Registration district: Penzance
          Inferred County: Cornwall
          Volume Number: 5c
          Page Number: 512

Paul
          Last edited by PaulD1960; 14-03-13, 10:16.

Comment

Dreen,is this your William in 1851

Paul

Comment

Dreen,do you have any further info on Olivia's mother Sarah

Paul

Comment

Olivia's father was Andrew, see here.............. http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org...ages&id=324595

Andrew and Sarah's marriage .................http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org...ages&id=553004
                Last edited by Guest; 15-03-13, 05:30.

Comment

Do you know the name of William Richards mother, and when/where she and Thomas married?
                  Last edited by Guest; 15-03-13, 05:49.

Comment

Dreen

The only thoughts I have are that a Thomas Richards married a Mary Edmo/unds in 1802 St Hilary, Cornwall. I had thought that maybe he was William's father and she was the sister of Andrew Bamfield Edmo/unds (father of Olivia) b 1780. Therefore William and Olivia 1st cousins.

However, I have not been able to link a Mary Edmo/undson to Andrew (whose f was John and mother Ann Laity).

The only Mary Edmu/ondson I could find was born 1780 to a Henry and Joan. I will take another look at baptisms.

Vera

Comment

A Thomas Richards married Mary EDMONDS 1802, Cornwall, could Mary be the connection? http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org...ages&id=552873

Comment

A Brick Wall

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                        Dreen. Have moved your thread to the Research forum - hopefully someone will come up with some ideas.

What was the date of the will?
                        Thank you Elaine.

William Richards died on the 22nd Oct.1891 in Clerkenwell, place of burial not found. Administration of the personal estate was granted to Olivia Treglown and Mary Jury
                        on 6th November 1891.

dreen22

Comment

Yes, 18/12/1861

Comment

Yes, that is Olivia. Also shown are her two sons John Treglown b.1863-1911 and James Treglown 1864-1926. The address was a rather nice Lodging House, still there, in Marazion.

Comment

Not sure about that one. Some time ago I looked at it but in subsequent years I did not find the family. I never looked into the marriages of the children which might be an exercise I shall undertake
                              shortly. I did look for a marriage but could not find one listed in a way that I could check "Father" so any possibilities would mean purchasing Certs.

dreen22

Comment

Thank-u, I'll check that out.

dreen22

Comment

Olivia's mother was Sarah Thomas m Andrew Edmonds a butcher in Marazion.

Comment

stubborn brick wall

Yes, possible, but this is when it becomes tricky. I have done similar searches but always end up with brick walls. Parish records always difficult because apart from baptisms parents are rarely shown.

Comment

i think cornwall is well covered by familysearch, or it used to be. a friend of mine had cornish links and we got very far using ancestry and the parish clerk.

Comment

William,s mother was Elizabeth Ladner b.St.Buryan, Cornwall 1775. She married my x3 grandfather Thomas Richards b.Madron April 1771 in Madron Church in July 1806.

Comment

Working...
                                        X