Leeds 1600's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leeds 1600's

I recently discovered that Ancestry has West Yorkshire records on line so can pad out my Wilson line. Richard Wilson had his many children baptised at St. Peters, Leeds from 1661 to 1668. He is recorded as Richard Wilson of Brigad or Brigail or something like that. Are there any experts of ancient Leeds who might know the correct spelling of this street or neighbourhood? Thanks. As it is near midnight in England I will not expect an quick answer but I will check in frequently.
    Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

Could it be Briggate?

Comment

I don't see two gs. What I think I see if B ? igai L or T
      If you have ancestry --- search for James Wilson born 1663 with father Richard. He was baptised 27 Oct and the record is near the middle of the page.
      Thanks for the idea though
      Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

Comment

I've taken a look at the baptism entries and I'm sure the street is Briggate, don't forget spellings have evolved with time. The parish register entry looks like Brigait, and when said phonetically it would sound the same as the way Briggate is pronounced today.

Comment

But I just search Brigait and it is an early spelling of Briggate. So that must be it.
          Thanks
          Donelda

Comment

BTW, I live in Leeds. St Peter's Church is very close to Briggate (about a 5min walk). Briggate was definitely a street in the 1600's.

Comment

Thanks for the link. I would have replied sooner but I'm buried in the 1700s to see if I can find verification on dates handed down over the centuries.
              Donelda

Comment

No worries, enjoy your step back in time.

Comment

Working...
                X