Help with Elizabeth's parents, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Elizabeth's parents, please

I've got an Elizabeth Bar(e)field baptised in Titchmarsh Northants on 8 Feb 1792. Her parents are listed as Thomas & Mary Barfield. I've found quite a few Barfields, but not T&M. All help welcome. Thanks

is this what you mean Grey :smilee:

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

or is it the parents you are looking for?
      Julie

Comment

From that link that Julie added for FS, click on the batch number and it will bring up all the Titchmarsh Barfields go to page 4 and there they are, it shows who had which children, so from that you can work out which children belong to Thomas and Mary.

Edna

Comment

Oh, thank you both. I did find a very good website run by a fellow Barfield descendant. I emailed her & it transpired I knew a couple of T&M's children she'd missed. I passed my information on & intended to check out the stuff I hadn't got a couple of days later. When I did, I found she'd removed it & she didn't reply to my emails.

Folks are funny.....

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
            or is it the parents you are looking for?
            Help, Julie ! The link doesn''t work for me. Could you tell me how to access this myself, please ?

Comment

Originally posted by greyingrey View Post
              Help, Julie ! The link doesn''t work for me. Could you tell me how to access this myself, please ?

sure.. goto: https://familysearch.org/

type in Elizabeth Barfield,
              county: Northampton
              dates: 1790-1800

roberts your uncle and away you go..
              Last edited by Darksecretz; 14-03-13, 16:24.
              Julie

Comment

hmmn, just going to throw a HUGE spanner in the works........

looking back at this I have found something interesting...

according to the baptism of her son, George Thomas BAYFIELD Asher, I wondered If there was a spelling error.. [or if someone has transcribed it wrong!]

going back to familysearch I found..

Name: Elizabeth Bayfield
                Christening Date: 1795
                Christening Place: BAPTIST,THRAPSTON,NORTHAMPTON,ENGLAND

this baptism is in the Non-Conformist records, so there may be other information actually ON the record itself.
                Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

now, Thrapston is the next village to Titchmarsh... maybe they moved there when she was little and thought that she came from Titchmarsh?

what doesn't help though is that there IS an Elizabeth BAREFIELD bapt @ Titchmarsh in 1792 with a father named as Thomas.
                Julie

Comment

bumping this back up for you Grey..
                  Julie

Comment

Oh, thanks Julie.....aaaaaarrrrrrrgggh !!! Got a heavy cold at the moment, so I'll have to have a think when I'm clear. I think the correct surname in both cases is Barfield (I'm reliably informed it sounds like Bayfield when spoken with a Northants accent). Well, whatever....did one marry William in Leicester & one shack up with Lyon ? But, if that's the case we've lost both the Wm & the Eliz in Leicester. Will have to see if we can find a marriage for the EB you've found (tho I think I & several people have done a thorough search when trying to find her marrying Lyon). Not sure if I've got a vague memory of finding a death for your EB at a young age....I'll check that when I feel better

My head hurts
                    Last edited by greyingrey; 21-03-13, 20:53.

Comment

Oh, thanks Julie.....aaaaaarrrrrrrgggh !!! Got a heavy cold at the moment, so I'll have to have a think when I'm clear. I think the correct surname in both cases is Barfield (I'm reliably informed it sounds like Bayfield when spoken with a Northants accent). Well, whatever....did one marry William in Leicester & one shack up with Lyon ? But, if that's the case we've lost both the Wm & the Eliz in Leicester. Will have to see if we can find a marriage for the EB you've found (tho I think I & several people have done a thorough search when trying to find her marrying Lyon). Not sure if I've got a vague memory of finding a death for your EB at a young age....I'll check that when I feel better

My head hurts
                      I think we need to have a look at that Baptism and see if it does say BARFIELD or BAYFIELD if I am perfectly honest, I did look for EBayfield but didn't find much.
                      Julie

Comment

I'll get it, Julie. Either of the EBs may have had their names changed between Barfield & Bayfield & back again on official documents several times over their lifetimes. We'll have to check out where we are when I get the Baptism.....if the names really were recorded consistently, & Eliz Bayfield can't be accounted for elsewhere, then we'd have Eliz Barfield marrying Wm Asher in Leicester & living with Lyon in Nottm & Eliz Bayfield with another Wm Asher in Nottm & giving birth to George Thomas Bayfield & Samuel Lyon....assuning Lyon wasn't one of the Williams, that would leave us with 2 William Ashers who disappear (& an Eliz Bayfield/Asher)....if Lyon had been calling himself Wm, we'd still be looking for one Wm Asher who disappears. Interestingly, the Eliz Barfield who's on the census record with Lyon gives her age as a few years younger than her baptism says....but it's nothing that you'd think way off beam, bearing in mind the level of literacy of the time.

Thanks for your guidance (which I need, as you'll have noticed)

Comment

it might be though she did give her year of birth on the census grey, afterall a baptism isn't necessarily the same year that they were born, they could have been 2 or 3 years of age before they were bapt, and as you know you can also have adult baptisms too.

I just feel that we need to evaluate what we have and confirm/disprove as much as we can to see if we can glean any snippit of info to help you unravel it.
                          Julie

Comment

don't know if you will be able to see this,

the baptism is the second one down on the list, you can buy credits too to be able to look at the records.

edit: I have just checked BMD registers for BAREFIELD and BARFIELD [Elizabeth] and no other 'hits' appear for her.
                            Last edited by Darksecretz; 24-03-13, 20:50.
                            Julie

Comment

Thanks, Julie....I'll check out the entry. I've done a quick search on the site & there are no more Bayfield baptisms in Northants, but there are a cllutch of Barfields who could be Elizabeth Bayfield's siblings (no other Elizabeth)....parents John & Eleanor. If Eliz Bayfield does prove to be their daughter, I'd guess that the mother of George Thomas Bayfield is the Eliz Barfield from Titchmarsh (father Thomas), but, of course, that doesn't mean that Eliz Bayfield wasn't Lyon's partner. So we've got 2 EBs as well as a disappearing William Asher

Comment

it could be also that the baptism is on the same 'circuit' as Titchmarsh, so there would be many different baptisms in different places but in the same register, as it was part of that particular 'circuit'.
                                Julie

Comment

Oh, I see....but would that account for it being a CofE baptism & a non conformist? Maybe there were 2 baptisms for some reasons (different branches of the family). Sorry, I'm just wittering (as you'll have noticed) at the moment, because I'm just grabbing a few seconds & will "get down to things" when I've got a bit of UNINTERRUPTED time (you think it's bad having the children off school....I lose any semblance of peace & quiet when OH is at home)

Comment

Oh, I see....but would that account for it being a CofE baptism & a non conformist? Maybe there were 2 baptisms for some reasons (different branches of the family). Sorry, I'm just wittering (as you'll have noticed) at the moment, because I'm just grabbing a few seconds & will "get down to things" when I've got a bit of UNINTERRUPTED time (you think it's bad having the children off school....I lose any semblance of peace & quiet when OH is at home)
                                    oh yes I know what you mean hun, it seems to take HOURS to do things when my OH is off work too.. [always getting under my feet!!]
                                    Julie

Comment

i don't know if this will help, but i have an ancestor baptised in the non con church, then his sister was born the following year and they were both christened anglican. this is 1820's.

Comment

Working...
                                      X