feed back needed please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• feed back needed please

Hi everyone, iv been trying to trace my 4x great grandfathers parents for a good few years now, according to his Baptism: 26 Apr 1778 St Peter and St Paul, Ormskirk, Lancashire, England Andrew Goore - Son of James Goore & Elizabeth Abode: Orms[kirk], I know he had a brother phillip Baptism: 1 Sep 1771 St Peter and St Paul, Ormskirk, Lancashire, England Philip Goore - Son of James Goore & Elizabeth Abode: Orms[kirk] who died Burial: 19 Oct 1774 St Peter and St Paul, Ormskirk, Lancashire, England Philip Goore - Son of James Goore Abode: Orms[kirk],

the problem is I cant find a marrige for a James Goore to an Elizabeth in Ormskirk......the only marriage I can find is the following: James Goore married Elizabeth Alcock 12 June 1770 St Peters Liverpool which would fit with the births of the two children mentioned above....I have searched Ormskirk Baptisms and there are no more children born to a James Goore and Elizabeth......the next baptisms etc I find are as follows:

Sarah Gore born 13 Feb 1770 Bpt 1770 St Peters Liverpool father James Gore and a burial of a Sarah Goore 28 Nov 1784 St James Toxteth Dau of James Goore Mason.....Baptism: 22 Jun 1780 St James, Toxteth, Lancashire, England Ann Goore - daughter of James Goore & Elizabeth Born: 3 Jun 1780 Occupation: Mason.....Baptism: 16 Oct 1781 St James, Toxteth, Lancashire, England James Goore - son of James Goore & Elizabeth Born: 25 Sep 1781 Occupation: Stone Mason.....Baptism: 20 Jun 1784 St James, Toxteth, Lancashire, England Elizabeth Goore - daughter of James Goore & Elizabeth Born: 22 May 1784 Occupation: Stone Mason...Burial: 5 Nov 1786 St James, Toxteth, Lancashire, England Elizabeth Goore - daughter of James Goore & Elizabeth Occupation: Stone mason...

I did find another marriage of a James Goore WIDOW who married Elizabeth Maxwell 1779 St Peters Liverpool......

QUESTION Is it possible that James Goore Married firstly Elizabeth Alcock June 1770 St Peters Liverpool Had child Sarah b Feb 1770 moved to Ormskirk, had son Philip 1771, who was buried Ormskirk 1774, had Son Andrew 1778, Elizabeth Goore nee Alcock dies and he Remarries Elizabeth Maxwell 1779, they have the following children Ann 1780, James 1781 Elizabeth 1784, and the first daughter Sarah b 1770 dies and is buried Nov 1784 St James Toxteth father James Goore MASON.

Sorry that this is long winded and I do hope that you get the jist of what i'm trying to say but have been stuck on this family for a long time and don't seen to be getting any further, would like to have lots of fresh eyes as I may have missed something along the way PPHHHHEEEWWWWWW thanks

It Isn't beyond the bounds of possiblity; I have exactly that situation in my tree. Half of his children have mother Charlotte Smith and the other half Charlotte Pritchard, but I have only found the first marriage and no death, so it is only a presumption that that is what happened. This is post 1837 so I have proper birth certificates.
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

Comment

I have a John A* who married Jane W in 1718 and they had 4 children, 2 of whom died in infancy. Jane A* was then buried in 1728 and in 1729 John A* married Jane T and had 6 children with her. All these events took place in the same village and were recorded in the parish register, so yes, it IS possible, but finding the burial of wife 1 always makes the "interesting" possibility look more like a "strong" probability.

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I'd say its highly likely, have you found a death/burial for Elizabeth [nee Alcock]?
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Yes, I too have wives one and two, both wives called Esther! I only found this out because child 4 was baptised the same day that his mother, Esther the first, was buried. I then saw the second marriage which I had not been looking for, assuming Esther was the mother of all nine children.

OC

Comment

why would your relatives marry in liverpool, then travel (in this day and age) half an hour away to ormskirk, then travel half an hour back to toxteth?

have you got the actual registers? or are using lancsopc? because they do not have complete coverage of the towns they have. i would be inclined to think your looking at separate families.

Comment

Thank you all for your input, its much appreciated, Andrew Gore seems to be a bit of a dark horse, he was in the army and his age from enlistment is the same as the baptism above 1778, according to his army records he was born in BOSCO!!! (Burscough), he gets married to Science Jones in Jersey St Hellier Channel Island 4 Oct 1809, they have the following childen over there: Esther, 1810, Sarah My 3x great grandmother 1812, and Louisa 1815, they then come back to Burscough and have, Edward, 1817, then another Edward 1820 where he says on baptism records that his name is EDWARD GORE, they then go to Liverpool and have Margaret Elinor 1822 his name EDWARD, then Robert 1824 , his name ANDREW, William 1826 his name ANDREW, John James 1827 his name EDWARD, Margaret Ellen 1830 his name ANDREW, Ann 1835, his name EDWARD and Caroline 1835 his name EDWARD....on his army records his name is ANDREW.......KyleJustine i have looked at the original parish records for Ormskirk and Aughton and this is the only baptism I can find for an Andrew or an Edward Gore for that matter and the Andrew Gore 1778 with parents James and Elizabeth is the only one I can find, and also cannot find a marriage in either Ormskirk or Aughton for a James and Elizabeth...... maybe they didnt even get married

Comment

It is certainly a possibility but I would be very cautious about assuming a definite link without more to go on. I'd be looking for records in Ormskirk & surrounding area - Halsall/Burscough/Melling/Latham/Kirkby etc - in the first instance (& hoping to see an occupation of "Mason" in one of them!). On the other hand, I do have ancestors from Ormskirk marrying in Liverpool & moving back to Ormskirk, so I'm sure it wasn't uncommon to move around in those days.
                It doesn't solve your dilemma, but I'm pretty sure that this record on Lancs OPC connects to the Liverpool James Goore you found, although obviously this child was buried before the marriage you found:
                "Burial: 17 Nov 1768 St Peter, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
                John Gore - son of Jams. Gore
                Register: Burials 1765 - 1769, Page 40, Entry 1
                Source: LDS Film 1656377"
                Good luck!

Sandra

Comment

Working...
                X