Trotter or Johnstone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trotter or Johnstone?

Hi I have a 1911 census for Alice Phillips who married John Trotter in 1890. In the 1891 Census they have a border by the name of William Coulthard (married Alice' cousin Ellen Elizabeth) but no children naturally.

In the 1901 Alice is on her own with 4 children:
    Florence-aged 9
    Frances- aged 5
    Alice- aged 3
    Jane- aged 1

In the 1911 census Alice is now married to a James Noble Johnstone.
    I found a marraige between Alice & John Trotter in 1890, Stockton-on-Tees.
    I found what may have been a death for John Trotter in 1904, Stockton-on-Tees (there's also a will)
    I found another marraige in 1904 for a Alice Trotter & James Noble johnstone in Sedgefield.

Looking at the 1911 census the names of the children have changed. Some are Trotters and some are Johnstones and some of the Trotters have been transcribed as mistakes and thus changed to Johnstone so now I have not idea what's going on.

Can anyone figure out where I may have gone wrong please?
    I'll be more than happy to send the other links.
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Some of the elder Johnstone children could be James's children from a previous marriage...
    Lauren =)

Comment

You've got James children;
      John William Johnstone
      Charles Lewis Johnstone

Alice's children;
      Clara Trotter same age as Florence?? So maybe mistranscribed or a middle name?
      Alice Trotter
      Jane Trotter

James & Alice's children;
      Thomas Johnstone
      Arthur Johnstone
      Robert Johnstone
      Fred Johnstone
      Lauren =)

Comment

Phew. Thanks for the help Lauren. I seriously thought that I'd messed up somewhere.

Comment

I think you will find that Florence and Clara were probably both children of John and Alice.
          There is a birth for Florence Annie Trotter in June 1891 Stockton ref 10a 114 and a birth for Clara Mary Trotter in June 1893 Stockton ref 10a 98. I think this may be Clara in 1901 as niece -

Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I did come across that census Chrissie but if the birth of Clara is noted as Clara Mary then where does the R come from in that census?

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
              I did come across that census Chrissie but if the birth of Clara is noted as Clara Mary then where does the R come from in that census?
              It's not an R it's M written oddly - look up the page and you will see the same letter used for the name Moore.

Margaret

Comment

Really? It looked more like an R. Oh well, cheers Margaret.

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
                  Really? It looked more like an R. Oh well, cheers Margaret.
                  Well, handwriting can be difficult to decipher at times and I expect the enumerator was getting tired with all the listings that had to be done so was going quickly and sloppily!

Margaret

Comment

Now I just need to figure out the other Clara..

Comment

Which other Clara?

Comment

This Clara:

Comment

That's a Clara Phillips though Sorry I'm confused. Is she another relation and if so what do want to know about her? Is she Alice's sister or something?

Comment

Oops sorry Chrissie I had to help Mum with something.

John Senior had 4 children. Sarah, William, Thomas & Robert.
                            Alice is Thomas' child.
                            The Elizabeth from the previous thread is William's child.
                            Robert had 10 children and they weren't named John Thomas or Clara.
                            I have no information on Sarah after the 1851 census- think she may have died.

John Thomas is living with JohnSenior & his wife Susannah in the previous census.

Comment

I'm really sorry Lennon but I'm totally confused. I thought we were trying to sort out the Trotter children here and I was talking about a Clara Trotter. I was responding to Lauren's message #3 where she wondered if Florence and Clara were the same ones but I wondered if Alice actually had a Florence Trotter and a Clara Trotter. Then you gave a link to a Clara Phillips from an earlier decade.

Comment

Yeah I'm sorry Chrissie. I did wish to sort out the Trotter connection. Annie Philips married Trotter first and Johnstone second once the other had died. I only came across the second Clara this morning and I should have been more specific in saying that I was looking for a cousin of Annie in the new Clara. At least I think it's a cousin. I just didn't think of that.

Comment

So I found the birth of a Frances Eleanor Trotter in June, 1895, Stockton-On-Tees.
                                  A 1911 census of Frances being a servent to the Byles family.
                                  A possible will for John- cropped screenshot taken.
                                  A tree hint for John on Mundia that has 2 sisters being named Frances & Eleanor.
                                  There's a Bishopton Trotter family website- hasn't had anything added since 2008 though.

Comment

HA! I was right about the connection to that website.

Now I need to make sure my Cousin isn't related to that same branch of Trotter's.

Comment

Working...
                                    X