Record Office Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record Office Problem

This is a long story, but briefly: I ordered a certificate, from information found for me - a Death Certificate from a Town Clerks Office in the USA. I made 2 applications, first went
    missing. However 9 months on I have finally received a Death Certificate but it bears no resemblance in detail to the one applied for via their Application Form. This happens,
    it certainly has to me several times over the past almost 20 years. Mainly my requests have been to English Registrars who simply tell you details do not match and return your
    money - acceptable.

However, when I complained to the american office it now transpires they do not check details, which I find astonishing, but just go by name and date thensend certificates out. How many people can be certain just working from an index they have the correct person They refuse to back down so I now find myself embroiled in an ongoing dispute with them.

Therefore, I an wondering if anyone on here has experienced this type of lax treatment with an american record department.

dreen 22

thats sounds awful are they allowed to do that? where do you get the info from when you apply for them ?

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
      thats sounds awful are they allowed to do that? where do you get the info from when you apply for them ?
      My information was obtained for me by someone in NY. I have no doubt the entry from an index was correct but not the person I was looking for. Therefore as the Registrar had full
      details of the person I was looking for should have easily seen it was wrong. You are required, as many people will be aware, to fill out an Application Form with full details, they also require
      Passport details (or similar) and I took the trouble to send a copy of the person,s Birth Certificate to back up my request. Yet, they have no hesitation in virtually stating all they check
      is name and date.

Here in England money is refunded if you have applied for an incorrect certificate and in almost 20 years I have only got one so wrong that the certificate was sent.

I am disappointed not to have the certificate I wanted, but that is nothing compared to the way the american office has treated my request. I am hitting a brick wall at the moment and after
      three messages I am now being ignored. Perhaps I have just been unlucky that my application fell to a particular member of staff.

It would just be interesting if this has happened to others.

dreen22

Comment

maybe you could put the details you do know on here and see if anybody can find the right one ?

Comment

Originally posted by dreen22 View Post
          My information was obtained for me by someone in NY. I have no doubt the entry from an index was correct but not the person I was looking for. Therefore as the Registrar had full
          details of the person I was looking for should have easily seen it was wrong. You are required, as many people will be aware, to fill out an Application Form with full details, they also require
          Passport details (or similar) and I took the trouble to send a copy of the person,s Birth Certificate to back up my request. Yet, they have no hesitation in virtually stating all they check
          is name and date.

Here in England money is refunded if you have applied for an incorrect certificate and in almost 20 years I have only got one so wrong that the certificate was sent.

I am disappointed not to have the certificate I wanted, but that is nothing compared to the way the american office has treated my request. I am hitting a brick wall at the moment and after
          three messages I am now being ignored. Perhaps I have just been unlucky that my application fell to a particular member of staff.

It would just be interesting if this has happened to others.

dreen22
          I suppose the only thing you could do is look at their terms and conditions and see if they have breached them in order to bolster your argument, otherwise I fera you are on a hiding to nothing as they can just ignore as you have found.

Shabby treatment, but there you go!!
          Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
            maybe you could put the details you do know on here and see if anybody can find the right one ?
            Well, if there is someone who could locate it that would be wonderful. If someone can help could they contact me re: "Private Message".
            Many thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X