Gibb ancestors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibb ancestors

My great great grandfather was David Gibb born abt 1818 in Lochlee Angus Scotland. He married Jessie (of Jessann) Shepherd in Oct 1844 in Lochlee and they had a bunch of kids. I have been unble to find his parents' names and I've looked in several places, in fact everywhere I can think of. Can anyone help?

did he die before the 1861 census? if he died 1855 afterwards, there should be a death certificate with his parents names on it. have you googled the parish registers of lochlee? it sound like a place in the highlands, in which case, you may not have registers as old as 1818. in my experience, highland registers begin in 1828.

Comment

Welocome to FTF Terry
      Have you got any Scotlands People credits? There is a death of a David Gibb in Lochlee Angus in 1887 aged 69.
      Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 10-03-13, 17:16.
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Right - I've got the details of that one. Give me a minute to type them out

Comment

Died March 10th - Widower of Jessie (can't read surname). Father John Gibb a farmer (deceased) - Mother Mary Gibb nee Jack (Deceased).
          Cause of death Constitutional Debility. Informant - William Christison? - step brother.

Comment

He also left a will. If you enter "David Gibb" and the range of years 1885 to 1900, you get 3 wills. There are 2 in Lochlee, one of which appears to match the date of death found by Chrissie. Searching is free but it will cost 10 credits to view/download the will. It's 3 pages, so there won't be a vast amount of information but it should give you some names.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks - I've tried that with no luck so far.

Comment

Thanks a bunch Chrissie - I tried Scotlands People with no success.

Comment

Terry - if you describe each of the steps as you've tried to access the information on Scotlands People, we may be able to help you. Once yoy get to know the site it's pretty easy.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I have done the same search as UJ and got the same results. There are 2 wills for a David Gibb in Lochlee but the one who died in 1884 and is listed as farmer was aged 88 (too old). So if you know for sure that your's was born c1818 I would say the 1887 one is the right one. It gives his occupation as Residenter !! Anyone know what that means? On the death cert it says Agri (i.e. Agricultural) Labourer and on the 1871 census (see below) it says Farm Auarl (whatever than means).
                    Scotlands people really is easy to do Terry and it's very cheap. For £7 you get 30 credits, which, if you are careful, youcan get a mine of information with. If you need any more help navigating around the site just shout up.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...3789141&recoff=

Comment

I wonder if this is him in 1841? If you notice there is someone else living there named Henry Christison. The same surname as the informant on the death.

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                        Died March 10th - Widower of Jessie (can't read surname). Father John Gibb a farmer (deceased) - Mother Mary Gibb nee Jack (Deceased).
                        Cause of death Constitutional Debility. Informant - William Christison? - step brother.
                        I couldn't read that maiden name vey well, but now looking at the 1871 census there is a Martha Edward L??K at the bottom. I wonder if it's Mary Lack and not Jack and Martha is her older sister?

Comment

Working...
                        X