"Cuckoo" in Belfast grave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Cuckoo" in Belfast grave

I've just recently found records for ancestors buried in Belfast City Cemetery [#C.49]
    Occupants of grave C 49, City Cemetery
    Forename Surname Age Date of death Date of burial Cemetery Details Record image
    Samuel Ayre 39 Years 29 November 1879 2 December 1879 City Cemetery View details
    Margaret Hill 35 Yrs 5 April 1886 8 April 1886 City Cemetery View details
    John Hoey 60 20 November 1903 22 November 1903 City Cemetery View details
    Jane Hoey 70 Yrs 3 May 1892 5 May 1892 City Cemetery View details
    William Hoey Senr 65 Yrs 16 March 1873 19 March 1873 City Cemetery View details

ie my 2xG GF and GM, William and Jane Hoey (nee Barnett), plus two of their children, John Foster Hoey and a married daughter, Margaret Hill, nee Hoey.

the fifth occupant, Samuel Ayre, is a puzzle though - Neither of these given names crop up at all anywhere in my Hoey tree. His details as below.
    Record details
    Name of deceased Mr Samuel Ayre
    Last place of residence 56 Clonallen Street
    Age 39 Years
    Sex
    Date of death 29 November 1879
    Date of burial 2 December 1879
    Cemetery City Cemetery
    Grave section and number C 49
    Burial Type Earth

I found this article about his death in the Belfast Newsletter - halfway down second column, DEATH UNDER PECULIAR CIRCUMSTANCES

(Not sure if this link will work unless you are logged in to 19th century British Newspapers ...)

I can't see any link as yet between him and the Hoeys. Can anyone come up with any explanation as to why he is buried with them?
    is it possible that there is no connection and he is simply buried in the wrong plot?
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

The link doesn't work - says you are now logged out.

I would imagine they must have got permission from someone to put a body in the grave as it would have been paid for at some point and therefore not simply for use by anyone. Why not email the Cemetery? I have people buried there and when I contacted them they were very helpful.
    Margaret

Comment

Yeah I tried my stockton library card with no luck.
      Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

Yep, had a feeling the link wouldn't work but if you can access the 19th century British newspaper archive via your local library page which is how I do it, if you do a search for AYRE on the precise date of 2 December 1879, you should get just one result up ...
        Christine
        Researching:
        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
          Yep, had a feeling the link wouldn't work but if you can access the 19th century British newspaper archive via your local library page which is how I do it, if you do a search for AYRE on the precise date of 2 December 1879, you should get just one result up ...
          Christine
          I know I used to be able to access this from my local library page, but I can't remember now exactly how.. and what I put in the box.. I know it says to use the barcode on my Library card, but, do you have to put the numbers and letters in, or just the numbers??
          Last edited by Darksecretz; 11-03-13, 07:53.
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Probably just the numbers from your library PIN card, Julie.
            If you open up the newspaper site first and sign in, then right click on the url given in post 1 and copy, then paste into the url box on the newspaper site.
            Works for me!
            Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
              Probably just the numbers from your library PIN card, Julie.
              If you open up the newspaper site first and sign in, then right click on the url given in post 1 and copy, then paste into the url box on the newspaper site.
              Works for me!
              I have tried just entering the numbers but it doesn't work, though I know it did.. nevermind i'll give it another go after school run.. thanks Elaine..
              Julie

Comment

s'ok I have managed it now..
                Julie

Comment

Working...
                X