National Probate Calendar on Ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Probate Calendar on Ancestry

Wonder if this will ever be extended past 1966 on Ancestry. I need one more year to be able to see my Grandad's will. Mum and Dad both said they knew he left a will but they never received anything and always wondered where the money went.

I shall have to go to London and have a look....just being nosy as it's so long ago now and both my Mum and Dad are no longer here

Linda

Hi Linda

You don't need to wait for Ancestry to update or take a trip to London - when my parents died (dad 2004 and mum 2006) I heard nothing about the wills (I was in Australia - the rest of the family in England)

I eventually filled out the form and sent it off to York with full names, dates of death etc - plus the fees of course.

Wills are apparently in the public domain once probate has been issued - I learnt that as expected mum had inherited everything on dad's death - so there was no will available - but mum had updated hers before her death and after two small bequests to one brother and one of her bridesmaids?? - the remainder of the estate had been divided between my other brother and my sister.

So I knew...............

Comment

Yes, if you know the date of death you can ask for a search of the Probate Register - think it still costs £5 they look up to 5 years after the death in case there was a problem proving the will and it got delayed.
      Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
        ...think it still costs £5
        Like most things it has gone up - now £6
        Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
          Like most things it has gone up - now £6
          Oops! shows how long ago it is since I ordered one.
          Margaret

Comment

Thanks..that's a real bargain. I've got his death certificate so know the date. Guess what I'll be ordering ;)

Linda
            Last edited by Loopy Linda in La La Land; 10-03-13, 18:27.

Comment

Working...
            X