Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Chich ??

In Ancestry under London Metropolitan Archives at;

There are a number of burial entries which seem to have various addresses which say 'In Chich' or am I not reading it correctly.

Joe

I'm not able to see it...could it be Chick?...might be the area where they are in the burial ground??

Comment

Joe,
      I am pretty sure it is Chick, and appears to be an abbreviation of a town (so not to use more than one line per entry). The only Chicks I can see on my large atlas

are Chicklade in Wiltshire and Chickwell Dorset, b ut there may be others that I am unaware of. Cheers
      Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

At the top of the Ancestry page you will see that it refers to St Sepulchre Holborn which is where a lot of my ancestors lived.
        Joe

Comment

Chick Lane was just off Holborn http://mapco.net/senex/senex05.htm

Comment

jill has a good idea in chick lane, but large cities, chichester came to mind.

Comment

This might explain:
              St. Sepulchres Church, or St. Sepulchres in the Baily, seated on the top of Snow hill; a very large and spacious Church, with a lofty Towered Steeple, Spires at each corner, and Weathercocks on the tops. In which Steeple is a gallant ring of eight Bells; and in the Church is a pair of Organs. To this Church there is a large Churchyard both before and behind it; although not so large as of old time, good part being taken away, and converted into Buildings; so that now it is not enough for the burial of their Dead; and the Inhabitants are forced to make use of another large piece of Ground in Chick lane.
              8th para - http://www.hrionline.ac.uk/strype/Tr...page=book3_283
              Elaine

Comment

What a fabulous website Elaine...many thanks for that

Linda

Comment

Yes, I got a bit lost in it as well! I'll check later to see if we have it in the reference library.

Update: No, it wasn't it the reference library ... but it is now!
                  Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 09-03-13, 12:29. Reason: update added
                  Elaine

Comment

Some of mine were buried at St Sepulchre - either 'in Chick' or 'in Bay'. I found this explanation on Rootweb which backs up the explanation Elaine found:

'St Sepulchre had a large population, and a high death rate, so like most city churches had difficulties with finding burial places. The space immediately around many churches, including St Sep. was crowded in with development, and noticeably higher than the church where it was still open ground, due to the number of burials. The church authorities established a separate burial ground in Chick Lane, and the majority of burials from the mid-18th century took place there, thus 'Chick' or 'The Chick'. Some burials (generally though there is no totally consistent pattern) the better off were buried in the Bay, ground which was still available adjacent to the church. The really well-off (or church officials like parish clerks, beadles etc) might be buried in the church itself, thus occasional entries such as 'buried in the left ile' - ile is what is now spelled aisle.'
                    Last edited by Lindsay; 09-03-13, 21:17.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                      Thank you Elaine .......... great researching and greatly appreciated.
                      Joe

Comment

Working...
                      X