Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eugenie Maria Mary Creton Gardner (Crouch) nee Jay 1851-1914 and daughter

I've got a headache again!

Please can anyone help me find Eugenie Maria Mary Creton Gardner in 1891 and 1911 census.

She was born as Eugenie Maria Mary Creton Jay in 1851, Westminster

She married William Albert Crouch in 1870 and then there was a messy divorce 1881/2 where she had an affaire with her sister Alice's husband John Gardner b. c1847 and lived in Bury St Edmunds and Abindon Cambs, a gentleman farmer.

She married said Joseph Gardner in 1883 and they had a daughter Louisa Eugenie Josephine Gardner in 1883.

Then I lose her until 1901 where Eugenie and Louisa are boarding in a house in Sussex.

I lose her again until her death in 1914 in Rotherham Yorks. This is correct as it names Louisa on the record she is now married to Joseph Powell

However I can only find a possible marriage of a Louisa Burgeon or Blanche Marney marrying a Joseph Powell and this one is in Rotherham in 1904. But I can't link Burgeon and Gardner

Nor can I find a Louisa and Joseph Powell in 1911 census.

So my query is, is anyone able to help with this mother and daughter.

PS I have seen a 1911 census for a Eugenie Gardner in Anglesey, it is a possible as her occupation is a ladies outfitter and she comes from a family of Drapers etc, but the sister Ellen doesn't fit. She did have a sister Ellen M who was married and died in 1907, or is it possible that this is a sister of convenience?

Any help gratefully received
    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

1891 transcribed on Ancestry as: Eugenie Mana Griderer
    Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Piece: 1014 / Folio: 76 /
    Page Number: 8
    Elaine

Comment

Oh thank you Elaine off to look now.
      Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by bubblebelle View Post

PS I have seen a 1911 census for a Eugenie Gardner in Anglesey, it is a possible as her occupation is a ladies outfitter and she comes from a family of Drapers etc, but the sister Ellen doesn't fit. She did have a sister Ellen M who was married and died in 1907, or is it possible that this is a sister of convenience?
        You can discard that one - here they are together in 1901
        Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!
        Elaine

Comment

Again Thanks Elaine. I can now look at the two new children to see if she is with them.
          Bubblebelle x

Comment

Looks as if Maud Gwendoloine Gardner (born 1885) marries in 1908
            Elaine

Comment

Yes I have found that too, and it looks like they emigrate to Australia, I may have found a passenger list for 1931. I need to take more time on 1911 census.
              Bubblebelle x

Comment

Struggling to find any of them in 1911 at the moment.
                Elaine

Comment

Me too. I have to go out now but thank you for setting me on my way again.
                  Bubblebelle x

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                    You can discard that one - here they are together in 1901
                    http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...try&h=20448831
                    I think that one may be the unmarried Eugenia Hart Gardiner that was born Sept 1855 Glouceste Elaine.
                    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 08-03-13, 15:31.
                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Probably no help to you but just to say Maud Gwendoline (16) and Joseph Montague (13) Gardner were with their father Joseph in Thanet Kent in 1901. Dad shown as aged 52, married, living on own means.
                      RG13 piece 828 folio 122 page 14
                      Last edited by JudithM; 08-03-13, 15:16.
                      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Yes, agree Chrissie. Not what we are looking for!
                        Elaine

Comment

Thank you Judith M, yes I did find that one, mother and eldest daughter in Sussex at that time. Will later give a good look around 1911. I shouldn't complain. I was doing so well with this family up until now. Google is such a wonderful thing. I have named this branch of the family as Mr Selfridge meets Jeremy Kyle.

Fascinating lot.

Sorry Elaine thank you too
                          Last edited by bubblebelle; 08-03-13, 16:38.
                          Bubblebelle x

Comment

Just a quick update I think I may have found Joseph Montague Gardner in Australia. There is a WW1 Australian soldier who died in 1916 that may fit profile, just a couple of years too young.

I believe he may also feature on the 1913 census, but sadly I no longer have Worldwide subscription, however as my cousin lives in Australia she can pick this up.
                            Bubblebelle x

Comment

Originally posted by bubblebelle View Post
                              Just a quick update I think I may have found Joseph Montague Gardner in Australia. There is a WW1 Australian soldier who died in 1916 that may fit profile, just a couple of years too young.
                              Definitely looks like him.
                              Elaine

Comment

Sadly I cannot access those links Vera, but thank you.

I am pretty sure that Maud went to Australia and now that looks like Joseph, google indicates he was a butcher when he signed up.

However this does not show Eugenie

I found this in 1911, maybe I am clutching at straws, but the date of birth fits if nothing else

Source Citation: Class: RG14; Piece: 884.

Bubblebelle x

Comment

Australia, Electoral Rolls, 1903-1980

Joseph Montague Gardner
                                  Electoral Year: 1913
                                  State: Queensland
                                  District: Herbert
                                  Subdistrict: Thuringowa
                                  Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 08-03-13, 18:50. Reason: edited because of copyright

Comment

Thank you Vera. This feels like the right man.
                                    Bubblebelle x

Comment

Working...
                                    X