Gravestone query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gravestone query

From when would it have been possible for ordinary working people to afford a gravestone ? I'm thinking about this from the point of view of which graveyards it might be worthwhile visiting to see if they list parents/children etc on them

Thanks

I don't know Grey, though I would have thought that stones would not have cost that much way back when.. it might be worthwhile seeing if there are any Memorial Inscriptions in book/cd/dvd format for the cemeteries you are thinking about.

I do know that 'Rock Cemetery' in Nottingham has some headstones of those that died in Nottingham Workhouse, [as the guide at Southwell Workhouse told us this last weekend!]
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Have you tried the Gravestone Photographic Resource?
      An international directory of grave monuments photos produced by Gravestone Photographic Resource Project (GPR)
      Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

is that right Julie ? who would have paid for them?

Comment

I usually e-mail the cemetery first Grey and ask them if they have a record of the burial of xyz. They can usually tell you who else is in the grave and whether there is a headstone or not.
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I found out where my little brother was buried this way Chrissie he died 1928, I found the burial books which gave details of the grave owner, my aunt and all buried there, her first husband and her second husbands parents, I was able to view the burial books at Liverpool Record Office, no gravestone though.

There is also http://www.findagrave.com

Edna

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
              is that right Julie ? who would have paid for them?
              I have no idea Val, it is what the guide told us last Saturday when we went to the Workhouse. [Maybe there was a Board of Guardians that provided such things?]

parking is a nightmare in that locality so it is not something I can just drive to and check!..
              Julie

Comment

this kind of looks interesting

Julie

Comment

That link is up the top DS.. I took a screenshot of how it would work but I didn't add it.

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
                    That link is up the top DS.. I took a screenshot of how it would work but I didn't add it.

oops :emb:
                    Julie

Comment

It's fine. I've used them a few times. I knew where the grave was but I wanted confirmation and got it. They email the grave picture to you and sometimes tell you if there's other's in the grave or not. There's 4 in the 1 that I took.

Comment

you went to a workhouse Julie ?? how wonderful ,where was that ? there is one just up the road to me has been sold to a builder, I am going to ask if I can look around before they start work.

Comment

Grey

(Nice to see you back!)

Even very poor people would pay into a burial club and often that would provide enough money for a headstone, so more people had them than you might think. Whether they have survived or not is another matter, of course.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                            you went to a workhouse Julie ?? how wonderful ,where was that ? there is one just up the road to me has been sold to a builder, I am going to ask if I can look around before they start work.
                            yep, we went in the Workhouse and looked around.. had a tour of the whole shebang!

Julie

Comment

We did that one a couple of years ago Julie. Did you enjoy it? I found it interesting but a bit too ........how can I put it .......sort of clean, pure and neat.
                              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Holbeach1.jpgthis is the Holbeach one just down the road from here its exactly like it at the moment, the builders started to clear the ground then the property business slumped so they have left it for now .
                                Its going to be flats.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                                  We did that one a couple of years ago Julie. Did you enjoy it? I found it interesting but a bit too ........how can I put it .......sort of clean, pure and neat.
                                  it was ok, but, it could have been more informative, I know that there are audio guides, but, to have visual guides as well would have been much better.
                                  Julie

Comment

Thanks very much for all your help.

We've been to Southwell Workhouse too & I felt the same as Chrissie....hard to define but sort of sterile. And I don't think there's enough general/local information (OK, I suppose we have to remember that not everyone is as interested as we are) Still worth going though...I don't want to sound too negative

Comment

Originally posted by greyingrey View Post
                                      Thanks very much for all your help.

We've been to Southwell Workhouse too & I felt the same as Chrissie....hard to define but sort of sterile. And I don't think there's enough general/local information (OK, I suppose we have to remember that not everyone is as interested as we are) Still worth going though...I don't want to sound too negative
                                      very true Grey, though I suppose in all fairness they have to be careful just how much do they do? add to it? the bleakness of the rooms made you realise that it wasn't a holiday camp and you were there to work for your bed/food!.. and it was hard work too, so to deter people from going in there in the first place, the workhouse was the last resort and if you could avoid going in there, then that was all the better for you. [I guess we get blinkered cos we see that many people in them, we tend to forget just how bad the conditions could be]

as a side note eldest daughter had a go at 'Oakum Picking' whilst in the workhouse, [she didn't do it for long mind!!]
                                      Julie

Comment

I bet that was educational. Every time I'm at Albert Park now I sit at the duckpond just staring at Nazareth House wondering what it would have been like for Nanna to grow up there. I don't have the guts to actually try to get in and have a look- it's an old peoples care home now.

Comment

Working...
                                        X