Census anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Census anyone?

Hi guys, last night I attended a Memories of Middlesborugh event and when we were talking about Bolckow and Vaughan the Ironmasters or Founding Father's of Middlesbrough it was stated that Vaughan was actually Welsh and that once he had started his company with Belchow in 1864 a lot of welsh men followed after him for work.

Now the reason for this rabble. In the 1881 census I have Evan Thomas living in Thornaby-On-Tees and working as a "Labourer At Iron Works" Is there a way to find out whether or not it was the Vaughan/Belshow one? Such as a works version of a census? I'm pretty sure that the Stockton/Thornaby part of the River Tees didn't have the Ironworks where as the Middlesbrough part of it did.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

I have no idea about the relationship of places here. A local newspaper in 1880 lists 'Cleveland Ironmasters' Returns'. The following firms and locations are listed.

Bolckow and Vaughan
    South Bank
    Middlesborough
    Whitton Park

W. Whitewell & Co [edit: shown elsewhere as Whitwell]
    Thornaby

This is the only one listed for Thornaby.

I don't think there would be a institution census return for a works / factory.

[Daily Gazette for Middlesbrough, 5th February 1880]

Edit.
    Have you seen these pages?

If an FTF Administrator reads this, this looks a good site for the reference library under industrial and manufacturing history.
    Last edited by keldon; 07-03-13, 16:01.
    Phil
    historyhouse.co.uk
    Essex - family and local history.

Comment

I have never seen a works census as such, but there are an increasing number of payroll books available on line. TNA have a selection, as do many local libraries and family history societies.
      Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
      Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
      Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
      Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
      Devine in Ireland

Comment

TNA? I'm unfamilliar with the shortened words. I'll pop into my library at some point, thanks Pete.

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
          TNA? I'm unfamilliar with the shortened words. I'll pop into my library at some point, thanks Pete.
          TNA = The National Archives (Kew).

You should check with the Teeside Archive (http://teessidearchives.middlesbrough.gov.uk/CalmView/default.aspx) a quick check of their catalogue for "Bolckow and Vaughan" gives 137 items.
          Last edited by AntonyM; 07-03-13, 19:58.
          Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
          Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Cheers for the help guys. Now you didn't hear me say this but I'm off to murder my dad who's just announced that he worked for the company Head, Wrightons & Co. The place in THORNABY!!!

Comment

Originally posted by keldon View Post

If an FTF Administrator reads this, this looks a good site for the reference library under industrial and manufacturing history.
              http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Main_Page
              Thanks Phil, that looks like a very useful link.
              Struggling to find the best place for it as it covers such a wide range of industries.
              I've added it to the General Historical Resources page for the time being, although might move it if I find somewhere better suited!
              Elaine

Comment

It truly is a good website ELaine.

Comment

Working...
                X