German research?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German research?

Hay all, iv now found out i have ancestors from germany and would like to have a go at researching them.

On the Germany page of the World Index iv had a look a the link's (some are not working) and most of them are in german which i cant speak or read unfortunatly.

So i was wondering if there is a german equivalent to FreeBMD that i can translate with a web browser then search?

Thanks in advance.

Ok iv just found some german records on family search and i think iv found the marriage im looking for.

on australian records names are given as:

Carl Bauer
    Elizabeth Margaret Walker / Wegate

could this be there marriage

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Comment

rainy what state in aus is this? do you know where in germany your ancestors came from, or are you taking a stab in the dark?
      do the names of the couple your looking for come form a marriage or a death cert?

Comment

Hi kylejustin,

Names are from NSW BDM records :

From Grandaughter's Marriage: CARL BAUER
        From daughters Marriage: ELIZABETH MARGARET WALKER
        From Daughters Death: CARL BAUER ELIZABETH WEGATE time in aust colonies: 26 YEARS

Carl's Death:

Elizabeth's Death:

The Registry was formed in 1856 to register life events in New South Wales accurately and securely for all time, ensuring their integrity and confidentiality. All our over the counter services are available at Service NSW centres.

I have both of thier death records orderd, they should arrive some time soon.

How i found the German Marrige record was by puting in a 10 year birth range for carl and a 20 year marriage range. The record linked above is the only marriage match that came up.

Comment

i'd wait for the deaths, if your lucky, they will give you a specific birthplace. and hopefully be specific in where the marriage occurred. did they have any children in australia? if they did, the birth will reveal where and when the parents married, and where they were born.

the death you have ordered for carl gives his parents as carl and austina (augusta? augustina?), these do not match the marriage you have. but elisabeth margaret's father is christian on the death you found. i don't think this is your marriage, and germany is not well covered on familysearch.

however if it does turn out to be the right one, you can order it from the mormons with their new service, which is free, and they allow 5 requests for info in a month.

Comment

They may have had one child in aust but I'm not 100% convinced

The Registry was formed in 1856 to register life events in New South Wales accurately and securely for all time, ensuring their integrity and confidentiality. All our over the counter services are available at Service NSW centres.

The ones from Bega I have already checked and they are not my Carl and Elizabeth.
            That leaves the Campbelltown one that may be mine.
            I figured if I got the death certs they might confirm or not if William is thier child.

thanks heaps for looking at this for me.
            Where do you recommend to search German records?

Comment

deaths will give names and ages for children if known by informant, so that should help with william. i would start looking in the town in my ancestor was born in. what do the certificates for carl and elizabeth's children say for birthplace? marriages, deaths, and births of the grandchildren? keep in mind some births will be more specific than others.

my 2nd great grandad's birth cert said his father was born in 'posen, prussian poland'. this is a state and city. so i had no clues. i got the other births to see what they said, hopefully their mother had given info, so i could see if she was actually born in berlin. the other births stated the father was born in 'walschstein, poland'. this is now called widzin. if i had not gathered all of the records, i would not have been able to use a researcher to trace the family back to 1774, in hirschberg now in jelenia gora.

it depends on what part of germany your family is from. the mormons have filmed more than is available from their site. so it could be you order the films and get somewhere with that. or you may have to hire a researcher, depending on if the registers are online, or if they are in archives, without indexes.

Comment

I havnt found a birth cert for thier daughter yet as she was born in Germany aswell, unfortunatly there is no information on any of the Certs i have about where in germany these Births and Marriages took place :(

Comment

i understand that carl and elizabeth had their children in germany, but the kids would have married and died in nsw, so one of them should be more detailed in birthplace other than 'germany'. births of any grandchildren should have birthplace too. i know nsw certs are expensive, but the only way to know, is if you get as many as you can to see if any give something specific.......but i'd wait till the deaths of carl and elisabeth come first. if they draw blanks, then start getting other certs.

Comment

another thought, do you have them on any passenger lists? german lists record the birthplace and last address for people emmigrating around 1860. but if not birthplace, the list will say where in germany they came from. death certs will give an estimate on when they arrived.

Comment

Ok, The only child of thiers i know of is Minnie / Wilhemina Bauer, other then her i dont know.

I have both her marriage certs, they state she was born in germany nothing else.

Her death states she born Germany time in ast 26 years which works out to be abt 1856 aged 5

Minnie and her first husband Alexander had 3 Children Elizabeth 1870, Isabella 1873, Alexander 1875.

Iv not found the immigration records yet, iv looked on ancestry and Find my Past and Family Search. But im not great at searching so could have missed them too.

Comment

On Ancestry there is also a death for a Charles F Bauer, father Carl F, mother Elizabeth in Byron Bay in 1929. Could that be one of their children?
                        Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Hmm ill go have a look at it now Thanks

Comment

Looks like a possibility, there is no Charles F in the other Bauer family. Also found a Thomas Albert died 1956 that dosent belong to the other Bauer family either.

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/In...nge=1982&place=

Not sure what to think / do now.

Comment

And more confusing From Trove:

Wednesday 12 April 1944

MR. C. F. BAUER
                              Mr. Charles Frederick Bauer, 59, of 55 Kyogle Street, South Lis more, died in Lismore on Monday night after a short illness Mr. Bauer was a native of Kangaloon, South Coast. He married Miss Stella Furner at Coolamon and in 1909 came to the North Coast and settled' in the Bangalow district. In 1932 Mr. and Mrs. Bauer moved to Chilcott's Grass, where he acquired property. Mrs. Bauer died in 1933 and Mr. Bauer shortly afterwards moved to live in Lismore. He is survived by a brother, Mr. W. A. Bauer,' of Binna Burra, and two sisters, Mesdames F. A. Cavanaugh (Clo vass) and L. Furner (Coolamon). The funeral will leave Will Riley and' Son's funeral parlour today at 11 a.m. for Lismore cemetery.
                              Mr. Charles Frederick Bauer, 59, of 55 Kyogle Street, South Lismore, died in Lismore on Monday night after a short illness Mr. ...
                              Last edited by Rainy; 09-03-13, 10:01.

Comment

The 2 death Transcriptions arrived today,

Elizabeth Margaret Walker / Wegate

Died: 4 May 1905 Robertson, New South Wales, Australia
                                Time in Aust Colonies: 47 years NSW
                                Father: Christian Wagerle
                                Mother: Unknown
                                Place of marriage: Wurtemberg Germany
                                Age at marriage: 31
                                Spouse: Carl Fredric Bauer
                                Children of marriage: Charles F 51, John 48, William 46 Living, 1 female Deceased
                                Informant: C F Bauer Son

Carl Fredrick Bauer

Died: 20/11/1891 East Kangerloon Bowral NSW Aust
                                Time in Aust Colonies: 34 years NSW
                                Father: Carl Fredrick Bauer
                                Mother: Austina Rau
                                Place of marriage: Germany
                                Age at marriage: Unknown
                                Spouse: Elizabeth Margaret Wagerle
                                Children of marriage: Charles F 38, John 35, William 32 Living, 1 female Deceased
                                Informant: Elizabeth Margaret Wagerle (her X mark) Wife

Comment

So by the looks of this they had the 2 boys and minnie with them when they immigrated to Aust and then had william here.

Now i have 3 documents with 3 differant surnames for Elizabeth i now have to figure out which is the correct Madein Name.

Comment

I found there head stones not that far from here!!!!!

and 2 babies :(

im off to see who the babies belong to.

Comment

i shouldnt have looked into the babies, they seem to be my 3rd great grand uncle's

of the nine children they appear to have had only 4 made it past 5 years old.

Comment

so the death certificates didn't say where in germany they were born? at least you have wurttemburg for a marriage.

Comment

Working...
                                        X