Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with family search numbering system please

I've found a marriage on family search -
    Florence Maria Withers & Harry Charles Knights, 3 November 1900, Great Yarmouth - no church named.
    Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

If I search for Harry Charles Knights, I get the above and also a second record
    Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Please can anyone tell, from the reference numbers, the specific church where the marriage took place? Is this possible?

I found the marriage for Florence's sister on family search

- that record named St Nicholas church Great Yarmouth and I was able to find the marriage register image and download it.

However, the Florence & Harry marriage was not in the St Nicholas images.

Can anyone explain the significance of the letters/numbers, please?

Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 05-03-13, 23:21.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Janet

Note the film number.
    Go to FS main page and click on 'Catalog'
    Next page click on 'Film numbers'
    Enter the number.

For your first example, Florence Maria Withers & Harry Charles Knights, you get two results.
    Parish registers for St. Nicholas' Church, Yarmouth, 1558-1901 and Parish registers for St. John the Baptist Church, Lakenham, 1568-1901

So the marriage could be in either.

Chris
    Last edited by Chris in Sussex; 05-03-13, 23:00.
    Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

Many thanks Chris. That's really helpful information on finding out where the records are for.

Interesting that there are 2 different churches recorded - perhaps they are the banns records?? I couldn't find the marriage in the St Nicholas marriage register images, so perhaps it took place at Lakenham. Off to see if Lakenham records are online.

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Janet

When you get to the results page click on the Church name.
        You then get details of what is available and if they are online it is written in red with a link.
        Lakenham has a link!

Chris
        Last edited by Chris in Sussex; 05-03-13, 23:18.
        Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

Thanks again Chris.
          The marriage wasn't at Lakenham after all that!

It was at St Nicholas, but on 21 Nov 1900! (The other dates must have been banns dates.) Normally I research in villages and would have read on a bit further, but there were so many marriages at Gt Yar (often several on the same day) that I gave it up as a bad job and thought perhaps it had been at one of the other Yarmouth churches.

Anyway, thanks to your help Chris, I now know how to look up the film numbers and find out which church they are for, so it's been a valuable learning exercise.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Janet -
            Have you used the batch number? For instance, on your first link, the batch number is I02563-7. If you click on it on the result page, it will take you to a page of all results for that batch (usually equivalent to events for a parish). Enter "Knights" in the surname field, search again, and you'll see all the Knights baptized in that batch.

Sites like Hugh Wallis and Archer Software provide lists of family search batches by parish - so you can find the parish you're interested in, and then search for names within that parish. Very useful!
            Last edited by PhotoFamily; 06-03-13, 06:25.

Comment

Thanks for that PF - I shall have a play around with the site today.

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
              X