Cornoner's Inquests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cornoner's Inquests

Hi all, I had a brother die in the river Thames 8 July 1945. I note from his death Cert that an Inquest was held of the 13th July 1945. Is there anyway to access the informatioin gathered by these Inquests. It would be interesting to find out what happened.

Many thanks for any help given.

Perky

That's very poignant for you. I suspect that your best bet will be a newspaper account... Are you able to give us the name, and we can have a look in the online resources?

I've had a quick look for articles including "Thames" for the period, without finding anything likely to be relevant, but a name might make a difference to the hunt.

Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 02-03-13, 13:45.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

That is very kind of you Christine. His name was Derek Anthony Marriott, aged 7. died 8th July 1945 in the river Thames Barnes. The Coroner's area was Surrey and the inquest was held on the 13th July 1945. I would assume any newspaper story would be after the inquest but am not sure.

Thanks for yor help

Perky

Comment

I was able to get a copy of Inquest documents from the Coroners Office in Oxford for a small fee.

surrey County Councils website states that their inquest records are helt at Surrey History Centre.

'Records of Surrey coroners' cases are lodged with the Surrey History Centre, Goldsworth Road, Woking, Surrey. If the death occurred more than 75 years ago then any record is open to public inspection; if the death was less than 75 years ago then, subject to the coroner's permission, the record is open to those who have a 'proper interest''
        Lauren =)

Comment

This also has some useful info: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/r...s-inquests.htm
          Lauren =)

Comment

I think that - on the basis of what I haven't been able to find - Lauren's suggestion is probably your best bet.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks very much for the info Ladies. I have sent Surrey History Centre the information and they are going to see if they can help . I will let you know how I get on.

Perkymite

Comment

I have decided to stop this inquiry it is getting to the point where people want money for checking things and as a pensioner that is a no no:(

Comment

I have decided to stop this inquiry it is getting to the point where people want money for checking things and as a pensioner that is a no no:( Thanks for all your help. How he ended up in the Thames will have to remain a mistery.

Comment

Originally posted by Perkymite View Post
                    I have decided to stop this inquiry it is getting to the point where people want money for checking things and as a pensioner that is a no no:( Thanks for all your help. How he ended up in the Thames will have to remain a mistery.
                    If you got to your local library you can check if they have access to the online newspaper archives which would be free for you to look at and then you might find a report about the incident or the inquest which then if you wanted to print a copy would cost 10-20p each.

Margaret

Comment

Working...
                    X