Who was Annie? - need Lancs help. please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who was Annie? - need Lancs help. please

Sorry this is a bit long, but I wanted to give the background.

Frederick Smith Fox, born Whissonsett Nfk, 1862, was a joiner.
    In 1889 he married Harriet Proctor in Bradford & they had 1 surviving child - Arthur Fox born Bradford 1890.

In 1901, Frederick, Harriet & Arthur were in Halifax and Fred was described as a camera maker, although I suspect he made the cases.
    http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...6250707&recoff=

By 1911, Arthur had left home and worked in Northampton, whilst Frederick had moved to Manchester.
    He stated he was a widower & had a son & a daughter living with him, Wllm aged 14 & Dora aged 12, both born Liverpool. He wrote he had 3 children, 2 living and 1 had died.
    http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...3796142&recoff=

His wife Harriet was still in Halifax in 1911, running a confectionary business, She said she'd been married for 21 yrs & had had 2 children, 1 still living and 1 dead child.
    http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...7975405&recoff=

Children William & Dora were in lodgings in Liverpool in 1901 - along with their mother "Mrs" Annie Fox, waitress in the restaurant of an inn.

Both births were registered in Liverpool, both children had the middle name Barwick.

I can't access Lancs records to check out bps, possible death for Annie.

Who was Annie, where did she come from, where did she go?

Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 01-03-13, 18:06.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Hi Jay,

I cannot spot any bapts for them on Ancestry, though it is looking like [to me] that Freddy boy was playing away from home... have you looked for a marriage?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

it looks like she is with her hubby in 1891 George Frederick Fox

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!
      Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
        it looks like she is with her hubby in 1891 George Frederick Fox

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=7814
        ignore me!.. I think that this is a different one
        Julie

Comment

The link you posted for Annie in 1901 took me to Frederick and Harriet. Should this be the correct link: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=23746705
          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

did Arthur marry an Evelyn, Jay? [about 1906/7] if so they had 2 boys, and they are on the 1930 US census and Harriet is with them

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!
            Julie

Comment

did Arthur marry an Evelyn, Jay? [about 1906/7] if so they had 2 boys, and they are on the 1930 US census and Harriet is with them

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=7814
              Julie I don't know.
              Arthur wouldn't have married as early as 1906/7 - he was born 1890 & was in Northampton, still single, in 1911.

There were 3 Arthur Foxes born iin Bradford 1890 - 1894.

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                The link you posted for Annie in 1901 took me to Frederick and Harriet. Should this be the correct link: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=23746705
                Thankyou Judith - it should indeed have been the link youve just supplied.

I've rectified it in my inital post.

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                  Julie I don't know.
                  Arthur wouldn't have married as early as 1906/7 - he was born 1890 & was in Northampton, still single, in 1911.

There were 3 Arthur Foxes born iin Bradford 1890 - 1894.

Jay
                  that'll teach me to read stuff!! the Arthur in US with wife Evelyn was b.1891 and aged 22 at marriage [I was thinking that the 22 was how long they had been married!!!]
                  Julie

Comment

the son Donald was b. 1914 and in england, the other son, douglas b. 1922 in Rhode Island.

they all went over in 1920, and Harriet is listed as widow, but married at the age of 22. [she is 62 on this census]
                    Julie

Comment

Hi Jay,

I cannot spot any bapts for them on Ancestry, though it is looking like [to me] that Freddy boy was playing away from home... have you looked for a marriage?
                      Julie, I'm sure he HAD been playing away from home. I'd love to know WHEN and how he got found out

Jay
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

the son Donald was b. 1914 and in england, the other son, douglas b. 1922 in Rhode Island.

they all went over in 1920, and Harriet is listed as widow, but married at the age of 22. [she is 62 on this census]
                        Donald's parents were Arthur Fox & Evelyn Barker, married Halifax Sep qtr 1912

Jay
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Donald's parents were Arthur Fox & Evelyn Barker, married Halifax Sep qtr 1912

Jay
                          do you think that this is your Arthur? [if you want I can send you the image, just need an email address]
                          Julie

Comment

I don't think it is my Arthur.
                            I can't find their passage overseas and the Harriet Fox I found in 1940 US census was with her son JOHN Fox, his wife and had grandsons William & Donald.

I have been looking at WW1 records and found one for an Arthur Fox, born Horton, Bradford, who enlisted with the Reserves in 1911/12.
                            That is my man, because it gives mother as Harriet , of New Bank, Halifax, which was her address in 1911 census.
                            Arthur was declared medically unfit in Nov 1914 - no mention of a wife and child.

At present, none of the bits are fitting together for Arthur.

His father Frederick may well have stayed in Manchester and reached a ripe old age - there is a 1943 death reg for a Frederick S Fox aged 82 yrs. (He was Frederick Smith Fox.)

It's no big problem - the Foxes are mere twigs on the tree. I was just interested by Frederick's apparent naughty little ways.

Thanks for your time, Julie.

Jay
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Julie, I'm sure he HAD been playing away from home. I'd love to know WHEN and how he got found out

Jay
                              looking back at both Fred & Harriet, do you think it was very early on that things weren't right, they are both listed as married in 1891 but each of them are living with their parents :conf:
                              Julie

Comment

sorry I should have said staying with their parents on census night, we don't know for definite that they were separated this early on,
                                Julie

Comment

Working...
                                X