German cemetery search anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German cemetery search anyone?

I'm looking for any online info on where someone would be buried if they died in Heidleburg, Germany in 1871.

I've googled till my fingers are sore. I expect my person would have a headstone as he was Lady in Waiting to a Princess and had been given the title of Baroness. I could be wrong though.

Any ideas??

I have found these Libby, don't know if they help at all

The World’s largest gravesite collection. Contribute, create and discover gravesites from all over the world. Famous Memorials, a Find a Grave Cemetery.

The World’s largest gravesite collection. Contribute, create and discover gravesites from all over the world. .

you can browse by cemetery, I'll have a look around and see if I can find a list
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

here you go, you might need a map/google to help you plot which is where though.

The World’s largest gravesite collection. Contribute, create and discover gravesites from all over the world. .
      Julie

Comment

This looks to be the cemetery in Heidelberg it is blimming massive

Bergfriedhof Cemetery in Heidelberg.
        Julie

Comment

Thanks Julie. I've tried those links.

I presume Julia would have been buried in Heidelberg, not sure. I was hoping they would have an online index like we do here.....lol

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
            Thanks Julie. I've tried those links.

I presume Julia would have been buried in Heidelberg, not sure. I was hoping they would have an online index like we do here.....lol
            nah I reckon we have been very spoilt Lib.. have you tried googling her name? that cemetery though looks huge on the map.. and set in woodland as well.
            Julie

Comment

german deaths seem to be detailed in their information. i only ever seen 2, so i am not sure, one of mine says where the person was buried. do you have a copy of the death? does it mention burial?

Comment

There are 17 cemeteries in Heidelberg, they are listed here http://www.heidelberg.de/servlet/PB/...336/index.html

The biggest one seems the be the one Julie found. They have 4 guided tours taking in famous graves, all listed on this brochure http://www.heidelberg.de/servlet/PB/...f_rundwege.pdf
                Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Thanks all.

I have this on other sites so please don't feel you have to add here as well.

Julia Margaret Weaver was born 1830 in Bath, daughter of Thomas and Ann.

She came to Australia with her parents and siblings in 1853.
                  Sometime after that she went to Germany and became Lady in Waiting to princess Elisabeth Schaumberg-Lipp.

Julia was givent eh title of Baroness von Lippsworth. She died in Heihelberg 7th Feb 1871.

The death was reported in the Australian papers.

I'm looking for where she might be buried, and if it's possoble to get a death cert but from the sites I've seen that's fairly hard.

Comment

what was the name of the princess' residence in 1871 libby? is it still there? i think you could investigate the palace? town house? and see if the family still own it? or if it still stands. and then maybe the family, (if they still exist mind you) would have archives of some such, and could tell you where she was buried?

have you been able to go through the cemeteries listed, and see how many were open in 1871? that could narrow down your list. might have to hire a researcher to look in the burial records for you. you have a date, so if the cemetery isn't too big, it might be rather quick.

Comment

Here is her main house. Buckeburg Castle. I wonder if Julia is buried there? Not sure of protocol.

Comment

Here is her main house. Buckeburg Castle. I wonder if Julia is buried there? Not sure of protocol.

http://www.germany.travel/en/leisure...rg-palace.html

i'd just send an email and ask, [if you don't ask you don't get!]
                        Julie

Comment

Ta. Might get my sis to send it. She speaks German...lol

Comment

Ta. Might get my sis to send it. She speaks German...lol
                            what have you got to lose?? it might be they have an archivist or would possibly give you some 'insider' information that will help you, :smilee:
                            Julie

Comment

Working...
                            X