ELIAKIM GOTCHALK LEVIEN aka "Gotchal" and "Gottschalk" - Jamaica lineage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ELIAKIM GOTCHALK LEVIEN aka "Gotchal" and "Gottschalk" - Jamaica lineage

My name is Sandra Levien and I was told years ago by my ancestors that I am a descendant of Gotchal Levien. I have had people from Germany, Australia and New Zealand also enquiring if my family of Levien's is related to Gotchal. It was believed at first that we were descendants of his grandson Sidney. I recently received the family tree of Sydney Levien showing current photos of all his descendants. His lineage has been well tracked and it confirms that we are not descendants of Sidney Levien. This is what I know of him and his family:

Gottschalk Levien was a famous wealthy merchant who migrated from Germany to Jamaica. His grandson Sidney Lindo Levien is written about in many Jamaican history books because of his actions during the Morant Bay Rebellion in Jamaica.

SIDNEY LINDO LEVIEN

Born 7 Feb 1809, Portsea, UK - Died 26 Sep 1895, Jamaica. On 11 May 1830 in Hambro Synagogue, England; Sidney Levien married Cecilia Phillips, born 1809, England - Died Jun 1865, Montego Bay, Jamaica.

Sidney's surname was spelled "Levien". He was a prominent editor and strong critic of Edward John Eyre (Governor of Jamaica) and his handling of the Morant Bay Rebellion in Oct 11 1865. Sidney remarks got him arrested, brought to trial and almost executed before being pardoned and released from prison.

SOLOMON LEVIEN

Sidney's father was Solomon Levien. The Hambro Marriage Synagogue Record lists his surname as "Lavien". Born 1777 in Jamaica - Died 09 Nov 1851 Sydney, Australia.

ELIAKIM GOTCHALK LEVIEN aka "Gotchal" and "Gottschalk"

Sidney's grandfather was Gotchalk Levien. The Hambro Marriage Synagogue Record lists his surname as "Levehn". Born 1743 in Hanover Germany - Died 11 Apr 1825 in London, UK. On 23 July 1765 he married Abigail (no surname or place of birth) Born 1748 - Died 07 May 1778 Jamaica. They had 11 children over 13 years. Gotchalk was a famous merchant in 1795 and a Stock Broker 1802, at 4 Haydon Sq., Minories. His family portraits are in a United Kingdom Jewish museum.
    I was told by the Jamaican Registrar that my great,great,great grandfather was Lewis Levien. He was married to Mary Ann Elson. I have attained copies of his childrens marriage certificates.

Lewis Levien and Mary Ann Elson's children were:

1. Thomas Elliot Levien I
    2. Elizabeth Francis Levien
    3. Robert Henry Levien
    4. John Levien
    5. James Levien

I was on www.ancestry.com and found 7 slave register manuscripts stating that Lewis Levien and his mother, Penny Sergeant were slave owners in Kingston, Jamaica. I then did a search and found Lewis Levien's birth records. Found here:

It says that Lewis was born Sept 4 1801 in Kingston, Jamaica and his parents were Israel Levien and Penny Sergeant. I did a further search and found that Penny Sergeant also had a child named Rebecca Levien born Feb 25 1805 but it says her father's name is Joseph Levien. Found here:

I am assuming that Penny did not have children with two different Levien's. It is common for people in the Caribbean to have more than one name or nickname. I believe they had the same father and the name is actually Joseph Israel Levien.

In one of the children's birth records, it referred to Penny Sergeant as a "mulatto woman" while the other record referred her as a "quadroon".

Mulatto – a person with one black parent and one white parent.
    Quadroon - the child of a white person and a mulatto so one quarter black. In other words, one black grandparent and three white grandparents.

I found this other site that confirms that Lewis Levien and Joseph Levien were slave owners:

I just realized that Gotchal (Gottschalk) Levien had a son born in Jamaica named Joseph Levien born May 18 1768 and died 1823 circa.

When I checked for birth records in www.familysearch.org, there is only one Joseph Levien born in that era. He is Joseph Edwards Levien born Feb 6 1818, parents Sarah Hemsley and Joseph Levien. Of course, this Joseph Edwards Levien could not be my ancestor since Lewis and Rebecca were born 1801 and 1805...unless he had his first child at 17. It is looking more likely to be Gotchal's son. That would mean he had Lewis at the age of 33 and Rebecca at the age of 37.

I will verify with the registrar but I would also like to see some wills/letters connected to the slaves, properties/plantations, etc.

Sandra Levien

http://www.archive.org/stream/origin...e/n13/mode/1up This book may be of interest to you but you may need to browse through it to see if there are any of your names within these pages, I came across it over a year ago when someone had an interest in Barbados/Jamaica and America and the book lists many names of passengers to and from these places from London.
    A really interesting read and may be worth your while.

Edna

Comment

Also The Mayflower and passengers here as well as an article on Jewish immigrants and Parish Records in the above mentioned places.
      Welsh Dissenters, criminals, and much more than I can remember.

You may not find a link to your names but it is from those early years so worth checking out.

Edna

Comment

Ages and ages ago, on the old post I think, there was a lady researcher in Jamaica who had info on the family....

Comment

Originally posted by clematised View Post
          Also The Mayflower and passengers here as well as an article on Jewish immigrants and Parish Records in the above mentioned places.
          Welsh Dissenters, criminals, and much more than I can remember.

You may not find a link to your names but it is from those early years so worth checking out.

Edna
          Thank you Edna. I think Joseph Levien did travel back and forth to Jamaica and London. Will check out the book.

Originally posted by naomiatt View Post
          Ages and ages ago, on the old post I think, there was a lady researcher in Jamaica who had info on the family....
          Yes Naomi I believe you are speaking of the woman who resides in New Zealand. Her family also migrated to Australia. Her husband is a descendant of Gottschalk and she has done a lot of research. I am in frequent contact with her.

Comment

There was also another lady who lived in Jamaica. Sorry, I don't have her details. Would be worth contacting http://jewishmag.com/111mag/jamaica/jamaica.htm

Comment

I just saw this thread which may help you

Edna

Comment

SLevien, for some reason I'm not able to reply to your message. Send me a private email as per my message to you from 2010.

Comment

I know this is a very old thread but if anyone here is a descendant of Gotchal Levien and any of his descendants; Solomon Levien, Sidney Lindo Levien, etc., please let me know if you have done or interested in dna testing. My family are the Levien's from St. Catherine, Jamaica. Our ancestors have always said we are descendants of Gotchal Levien and I would like to verify if this is true. I have already done dna tests on many of my family members. The results show that we have Ashkenazi in our blood. Thank you for your help.

Kind regards,

Sandra Levien

Comment

Originally posted by SLevien View Post
                    I know this is a very old thread but if anyone here is a descendant of Gotchal Levien and any of his descendants; Solomon Levien, Sidney Lindo Levien, etc., please let me know if you have done or interested in dna testing. My family are the Levien's from St. Catherine, Jamaica. Our ancestors have always said we are descendants of Gotchal Levien and I would like to verify if this is true. I have already done dna tests on many of my family members. The results show that we have Ashkenazi in our blood. Thank you for your help.

Kind regards,

Sandra Levien
                    Yes, Sandra, I am a direct descendant of Gotchal and Abigail, and Solomon Levien and Harriet Phoebe Prager-Salomons. I can give you quite a lot of information about Solomon's family in Australia. There's even a convict son of Solomon and Harriet who was transported to Van Diemen's Land (Tasmania) and was my great great grandfather.
                    Cheers
                    Owen Mace, Adelaide, South Australia,

Sorry Owen but I have had to remove our e-mail as per out T&C's. You will be able to PM it privately.
                    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 11-03-18, 09:08.

Comment

Originally posted by OwenM View Post
                      Yes, Sandra, I am a direct descendant of Gotchal and Abigail, and Solomon Levien and Harriet Phoebe Prager-Salomons. I can give you quite a lot of information about Solomon's family in Australia. There's even a convict son of Solomon and Harriet who was transported to Van Diemen's Land (Tasmania) and was my great great grandfather.
                      Cheers

Sorry Owen but I have had to remove our e-mail as per out T&C's. You will be able to PM it privately.
                      Hi Owen,

Thank you for your response. I will send you a PM.

ETA: Don't know why but there is no option to send you a personal message. Please send me a personal message and I will respond. Thank you.

Regards,
                      Sandra Levien
                      Last edited by SLevien; 12-03-18, 10:51.

Comment

Originally posted by OwenM View Post

Cheers

Hi Owen,

Is your convict relative John James Levien? I believe he is my great great great grandfather. If you have further information on him I would be very keen to hear more.

Comment

JHZ - a warm welcome to FTF
                          Not all trees are correct - you might like to browse this and see if it tallies with your info - good luck
                          Leader de la généalogie en France et en Europe : publiez votre arbre généalogique et recherchez vos ancêtres dans la première base de données généalogique.
                          Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                          oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                          adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                          merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                          coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Working...
                          X