Irish 1922 Military Database

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish 1922 Military Database

The following website may be worth looking at for all those who cannot find army ancestors in the UK and who may just have been in Ireland at this time. Looks lke another good Census substitute.

Janet
    Last edited by Janet; 28-02-13, 20:25.

Link not working for me Janet.
    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
      Link not working for me Janet.
      Nor me!
      Researching:
      HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
        Have found it - will repost link
        http://census.militaryarchives.ie/
        Thanks Elaine - just cross posted seconds before you put this up - it works...
        Researching:
        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Have changed link! Also posted on general but meant to post on research! Brain addled today!!

Janet
          Last edited by Janet; 28-02-13, 20:28.

Comment

would you like this moving Janet to Research?
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
              Have changed link! Also posted on general but meant to post on research! Brain addled today!!

Janet
              sorted Janet x
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks Julie!!

I should add the following to make more sense of this as I have just received an e mail through the Cork Genealogical Society.

"It is a a SEARCHABLE DATABASE based on a military census from 1922 and launched online this morning.The census outlines the full extent of the Free State Army’s manpower during the Irish Civil War, and was held in November 1922 to audit the general state of the National Army at the time.The census, which came about halfway through the war as the National Army fought against anti-treaty members of the IRA, was conducted in an effort to ascertain precisely how many recruits the army had at its command.

Without accurate information, headquarters staff could not adequately estimate pay bills, feed, clothe or procure weapons or even determine how many troops they had at their disposal so the Army Council decided in October 1922 that it would undertake a census, documenting its entire manpower at the stroke of midnight on the morning of Friday 13 November that year."

Janet
                Last edited by Janet; 28-02-13, 20:52.

Comment

Working...
                X