Margin Notes on Marriage Certificates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Margin Notes on Marriage Certificates

Transcribing a Marriage in 1846 there is a Margin Note "Dwarfs." Helpful information for some but would GRO show that 'extra' if one applied for a copy of the Certificate?

I would doubt it ? but you never know, suppose you could ring the GRO and ask if that would be the case.

Comment

thats rather fascinating. i'd be delighted if i found that for my ancestors!

Comment

Originally posted by AlanC View Post
        Transcribing a Marriage in 1846 there is a Margin Note "Dwarfs." Helpful information for some but would GRO show that 'extra' if one applied for a copy of the Certificate?
        I wonder why the registrar thought it necessary to add that comment.
        Margaret

Comment

are you sure thats what it says Alan? would love to see it

Comment

Alan

I doubt if that superfluous remark would appear on the GRO copy! Are you trasnscribing registers, or actual certificates? I've seen all sorts of remarks in the margins of registers but never in the margin of a marriage cert.

OC

Comment

Hello OC, I'm transcribing the Register.
              It's for LanOPC so wont be on-line for a few weeks yet and Val, I cant put the image up because the software wont let me. The marriage was on 7/8/1846 at St Peter's Liverpool between Joseph Astill & Elizabeth Mansfield both are of 'full' age and the bride signs with an 'X' in case you want to see what you can find.

Comment

Alan

As I thought, this was just a subjecive comment by the Vicar who performed the marriage. It will not have appeared on the certificate because it has no place on the certificate. Marriage laws do not require to know whether someone is of normal height or not!

I do love these comments in the margins though and that is why I always encourage people to look at original registers. I have found such gems as "A great and incontinent whore" next to my umpty-times relative. "A liar and a godless thief" next to someone else's relative, lol.

OC

Comment

you must have a fascinating tree OC you always make it seem so interesting I envy you.

Comment

Interesting margin comments on you 'rellies' OC..............an 'incontinent whore' indeed..............I'm tempted to ask how the vicar knew?
                    I dont think I'd post such info for mine......well done.

Comment

Working...
                    X