More info than you think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More info than you think

I'm probably going over old ground here but I think it's important. I found my great uncle's WW1 attestation papers on Ancestry recently and the index indicated 2 pages. I accepted this and looked no further. Big Mistake. It turns out there are 20+ pages in the record including a lot of very significant family information not to mention my great uncles full military service, something that was lacking in the past.
    My lesson learnt? Always turn the page.....

you can also get one where some of the records refer to a different man which is just as frustrating if you dont notice the name on top of the page.

Comment

It's worth going backwards too from the page you're directed to by Ancestry - often there are more pages
      The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
      Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

This does seem to happen quite a lot with the service (and pension) papers ....and don't overlook that the information in those service papers can lead you to the really interesting stuff in things like the WO95 war diaries.
        Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Working...
        X