Mary Ann Smith & son John Smith - death help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary Ann Smith & son John Smith - death help

Through some other research I managed to find some information or two Smith ancestors after having given up ages ago and wondered if anyone can help?

The mother was Mary Ann Stokes who married Solomon Smith on 25th December 1892. Mary Ann was born in Brentford on 8th August 1876. She was still alive when her husband Solomon died on 6th March 1941 at 135 Canal Road, Mile End Stepney as she was the informant. The last ER I found them on was 1939 but no luck after the War so either she died during of changed addresses although they lived at Canal Road for over 20 years.

I just can't seem to find her death and I was hoping I could keep finding her at 135 Canal Road until she died. Her daughter Florence and her husband Frederick Leaback were also staying with the family at Canal Road and I thought if I found them post WW2 I might find Mary Ann but no luck. Incidently finding Florence with her husband also will allow me to find their marriage but thats for later I wanted to concentrate on Mary Ann for the time being.

Her son John Smith is also with his mother and father until 1939 with no wife so its looks like he maybe didn't marry. I know he was born around 1891/1892 but I probably have no chance of finding him unless I find his mothers death and he is maybe the informant to again narrow down the years.

Therefore just looking to see if anyone can help with Mary Ann Smith's death after 1941

Thanks as always

Steven

sorry stevie, dont think you will find canal road post war

Explore what happened in Mile End East, London during the Blitz. Discover London during WW2 bombing raids, exploring maps, images and memories. The Bomb Sight web map and mobile app reveals WW2 bomb census maps between 7/10/1940 and 06/06/1941, previously available only by viewing them in the Reading Room of The National Archives.

florence and fredericks marriage

Last edited by loltel; 24-02-13, 20:54.
    Lorraine

Comment

Cannot find her on the electoral roles after 1939 she isn't with Frederick and Florence
      Two deaths might be ?
      Mary A Smith Mar 1952 Stepney 5d 636 age 76
      Mary A Smith Mar 1957 Stepney 5d 611 age 83

Thats of course if she stayed in Stepney

Comment

There is a John and a Mary Smith maybe mum and son ,in 1945 at 5 Forester Street Stepney but of course the name is so common

Comment

I can see a Frederick Leaback in Tower hamlets area on the Er's possibly he and Florence had a child that they also named Frederick as there is a Frederick Jr and a Frederick Sr, in the ER listings, I will have a look and see if I can spot Mary living with them.

to begin with:

Fred & Flo living at 174 Bow Common Lane, Limehouse, Borough of Stepney district F MEOT.

family still at same address in 1951 now with 5 adults no Mary though

still at same address in 1958 though no Mary.
          Last edited by Darksecretz; 24-02-13, 21:42.
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

115. 117. 123.125.129 133 to 171 canal road were destroyed in bombing and most even numbers

might be worth checking the last known neighbours, if they were all bombed out, they may have all been moved en mass, i have checked civilian war dead but nothing.
            Lorraine

Comment

As Mary Ann was Baptised Mary Ann Rebecca and may have moved during the War, I wondered about this one

Mary A R Smith b abt 1873 died 1944 aged 71
              East Ham, Essex
              Vol 4a Page 106

Vera

Comment

Thanks Lorraine that really explains why they aren't at Canal Road!!! I didn't even think that might have happened.

Thanks Val that's a couple of potentials. Thanks for looking up the ER's Julie I spent hours yesterday. It was fine when Solomon was alive and when they were at Canal Road. I thought the Leaback name was rarer and was a better chance.

Thanks Vera. Mary Ann's son Solomon moved to Essex after WW2 so that could be a very good bet. Maybe she moved to be near her son and grandchildren?

As always thanks for the help. Woud love to find her and maybe John

Steven
                Last edited by stevie2006; 25-02-13, 07:23.

Comment

Vera I think you may be onto something with that death. I found Mary Ann's daughter Florence Leaback's death in 1975, Southend on Sea, Essex also with a middle name Rebecca. I might give that death certificate a try.

Also Florence's husband Frederick Leaback's death looks like Chelmsford, Essex in 1968 and their son also Frederick looks like he dies in Rochford, Essex in 1963 so it looks like most of the family moved to Essex during or after the War. I know the Smith's moved to Ilford, Essex as well

Steven

Comment

Steven,

might it be an idea if you think that she may be yours what about looking at the various cemeteries for burials? might save you £9.25 for the cert,
                    Julie

Comment

hmmn £10 for a search :(

Julie

Comment

It is a possibility Steve as the family members subsequently moved out to Essex. Maybe need to do some eliminating other Mary A R's before spending any money. I'll have another look.

Vera

Comment

though this might help

Julie

Comment

Thanks Julie 50/50 between the burial and certificate. I am thinking maybe certificate which may give me a clue to John Smith the son if he was an informant. I feel sorry for poor old John having the one of the most common names!!! I found (through the forums help ages ago) his WW1 record. It looks as though he didn't marry or have kids looking at the ER's for Canal Road.

Thanks Vera

Mmmmm now some think to do

Steven

Comment

Originally posted by stevie2006 View Post
                              Vera I think you may be onto something with that death. I found Mary Ann's daughter Florence Leaback's death in 1975, Southend on Sea, Essex also with a middle name Rebecca. I might give that death certificate a try.

Also Florence's husband Frederick Leaback's death looks like Chelmsford, Essex in 1968 and their son also Frederick looks like he dies in Rochford, Essex in 1963 so it looks like most of the family moved to Essex during or after the War. I know the Smith's moved to Ilford, Essex as well

Steven
                              Hi Steven
                              I have been following the son Frederick Leaback born 1922 married Mabel Dora Westlake (born 1919) at Southend in 1960. She died in 1978 at Southend. I think she is listed as M D Leaback in BT phone books,1966-1977 living 15 Stonehill Rd Eastwood which is on the outskirts of Southend. Mabel's maiden name was Tubby, so was possibly a widow when she married Frederick. Two children mmn Tubby born Southend. A daughter K J in 1960 & a son J M F in 1963. K J is a member of GR. She has her father down on GR as being born at Canal Road.
                              Might be worth contacting her.
                              Moggie

Comment

There are lots of Mary Anns aren't there. There was one in Islington Mary Ann Rebecca but she was still alive into the 50's and a couple of Mary Anns with correct dobs who were in East Ham in 1911. However, anyone of the other Mary Anns in the census could have been recorded with their full name at death. So that was a bit of a non starter.

Vera

Comment

Thanks for that Moggie - I will look at registering for GR and have a look for that contact. There is also a private tree on ancestry that came up when I added the name Mabel Westlake and might give that a go too.

Thanks for looking Vera

I looked out that wedding photo that I got from my cousin Ann for another look. Its the wedding of Solomon jnr to Isabella Ward in 1918 in Stepney. Surely Solomon senior, Mary Ann and maybe John and Florence must be in it but I suppose I will never know 100%. The 2nd soldier looks similar to Solomon and could be John. There are 5 bridesmaids and those could be Isabella's sisters Ethel, Rose, Hilda and Grace(Dolly) which means the 5th could be Florence?

Clara Ward is 2nd from the left and the wee girl is her youngest daughter May Driscoll. But as to the rest of them its all speculation and I suppose I will never find out but its certainly got my imagination running away with me!!! Is the photo taken at Canal Road?

Thanks again

Steven

Comment

have you looked at the electoral regs on seax ???? they cover your years
                                    Lorraine

Comment

Thanks Lorraine I will check that out. I know Isabella and Solomon Jnr lived at 88a Ley Street, Ilford for many years

Steven

Comment

Working...
                                      X