Yorkshire Records to be Digitised

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yorkshire Records to be Digitised

I have just received the latest edition of Lost cousins newsletter and Peter Calver reports that six archives which hold records relating to Yorkshire are to be digitised. The Consortium which comprises of the East Riding Archives and Local Studies Service, the Borthwick Institute for Archives (University of York), the North Yorkshire County Record Office, Teesside Archives, Sheffield Archives and Local Studies, and Doncaster Archives and Local Studies are planning to put these records on findmypast. This will be brilliant for me. I have never used findmypast, preferring to stick with ancestry but I think I will get a subscription to FMP as soon as these records come on line.

Please could someone alert me as soon as this happens as I am already getting excited at the prospect!

Sandra

I'm quite excited too. My main E Yorks research is on the boundary of 2 archdeaconries. The records for one are at the Borthwick - but if the rellies moved to the next farm down the road, that often put them in the next parish, the next archdeaconry and so the need to go to the Treasure House at Beverley.
    Similarly the records of some of the parishes on the periphery of York city are at Beverley, whilst others are at Northallerton. Researching many of my families has always involved a lot of trecking backwards and forwards around the various local record offices.
    So to have SOME of the records online will be brilliant.

What does become a cause for concern, however, is that if there is a considerable drop in the number of visitors to county record offices, then there could be a drop in funding and a move to reduce opening hours, restrict services etc.
    Bit of two-edged sword.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Teesside. There's actually a building/company named Teesside Archives.
      Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

ooh, north yorks will be very helpful, i have a lot from grinton and richmond, and nearby areas. would be handy for northallerton as well, as i have a lot from there. might just get somewhere when these come online!

any idea of a date though? will i be alive when they get around to it!?

Comment

any idea of a date though? will i be alive when they get around to it!?

Lol, I expect it will be an ongoing project, with more records being added over a period of time. (We are talking about 6 different record offices, covering a huge area and holding an awesome amount of parish records - IF PR is to be included??? I don't think the Lost Cousins newsletter specified the type(s) of record to be included in the project.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Good news, although it's a pity they'll be on FMP, which is much less convenient to search than Ancestry.

Comment

Working...
            X