Creating reports with FTM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating reports with FTM

Will someone please provide me with an idiots guide to creating reports. I cannot get to the appropriate screen for starting to create reports. The FTM tutorial and Help do not give me the understanding required.

Hugo

Which version of FTM are you using Hugo?
    Elaine

Comment

There is a Youtube video that shows all the settings and what they do for FTM 11, that may help you
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KRTU3mzlH0

Researching:
      FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Greetings Elaine,

I am using FTM 2012 Platinum.

Hugo

Comment

First thing you need to do is click on PUBLISH at the top of the screen.
          Then on the left select what you want to do, e.g. report, chart.
          In the middle section select the type, e.g. ahnentafel or descendant report - then click create report on the right.

Once you have got the basis of the report showing you then use the icons (top of the right hand section) to customise your report.

There are some instructions here which might help with that last bit

If you get stuck, then tell me how far you get and I'll try to do some screenshots for you.
          Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine. I know I can get to PUBLISH. So I will go and have another try.

Hugo

Comment

Shout if you get stuck!
              Elaine

Comment

Am back in my tree and have reached the PUBLISH screen. LHS shows a selection of posters.

I want to produce a list of people with birth, marriage, and death dates and locations. Don't see any way to do this.

Hugo

Comment

Just putting some instructions together for you Hugo - back in a mo!
                  Elaine

Comment

Right, what you need is a CUSTOM report.

PUBLISH - PERSON REPORT - select CUSTOM REPORT (in centre)
                    CREATE REPORT

Presume you want all individuals - there is a button to select ALL INDIVIDUALS on right hand side.

You need to say what you want on the report.
                    At the right of the screen there are 7 icons under CUSTOM REPORT ICONS
                    Click on the 1st icon which is ITEMS TO INCLUDE

Not sure what you will see in the pop up box because mine is already set up - but basically what you want to show are NAME / BIRTH / MARRIAGE / DEATH

If these aren't showing then click on the + button and select them from the listing.

Probably best to untick - Include person notes - Include fact notes (I forgot to do that before taking the screenshot!)

Once you've got that sorted, click OK and it takes you back to the custom report.

Your report will show in text format - something like this

You may find the name format is not what you want, e.g. in alphabetic order on first names rather than surname. When you are looking at the ITEMS to INCLUDE section (first screen shot) you can choose the name format you want. Click on NAME in your chosen listings, and then on NAME OPTIONS -> select format.

You can either use the data as displayed in the above report by using the print icon. However, if you prefer it in an EXCEL type format, where you can manipulate it - then at the top right of your screen you will see a SHARE option. Click on that and export to cvs format (with an option for either column or row format).

Phew ... hope that is what you wanted and you can follow the instructions.
                    Elaine

Comment

Have you no bed to go to? It can wait till morning!

Hugo

Comment

I will look at it in the morning. Goodnight.

Hugo

Comment

I should have asked for a COMPLETE Idiots Guide!

I cannot get to a screen which gives me the option
                          PUBLISH - PERSON REPORT - select CUSTOM REPORT (in centre).

All the PUBLISH options I have offer Book, Poster, or Calendar.
                          Last edited by Hugo; 24-02-13, 10:31.

Comment

Probably bad instructions on my part!
                            Does this help?

1. Publish at top of page
                            2. Person Reports (left hand column)
                            3. Custom report (centre)

Elaine

Comment

This is a short recorded video of what Elaine is trying to show you

This was created using my work screen capture software, but if you want your own copy so you can do the same, then use Camstudio Portable.
                              It even runs off a USB memory stick
                              http://portableapps.com/apps/utiliti...tudio_portable
                              Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 24-02-13, 12:11.

Researching:
                              FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Partial success!

If I start a new tree with manually inputing the data then I can use PUBLISH to get to the report generation screen.

BUT, if I use an existing tree from the Ancestry Web Dashboard, which I normally do, then use PUBLISH I can only generate books, posters, or calendars.

However, I am a lot happier, now being able to generate reports.

My thank to Elaine and to trevor.

Hugo

Comment

I don't use the Ancestry Web dashboard - but I've just had a look at it and can see that it displays your trees on Ancestry.
                                  If you "sync" that tree with Family Tree Maker, thus bringing it down on to your computer and held within FTM, would you be able to use the Publish option in the way I have described?
                                  Elaine

Comment

One of my trees `Donnachies of Galston`is also listed in the Ancestry Web Dashboard. The one in the dashboard is linked to the web and has an extra person in it!

How do I sync my new/trial tree with FTM?

Hugo

Comment

Personally I don't use the Sync option so it's probably easier if you look in the Companion Guide on FTM which explains it in detail.
                                      Open Family Tree Maker - click on HELP - select COMPANION GUIDE which opens a pdf file - tree syncing seems to be explained from page 269 onwards.

In case you haven't noticed the Companion Guide before (and many people don't realise it is there) I would highly recommend that you save the pdf file to your computer. It covers most aspects of FTM and is a handy reference tool when you get stuck - not that I or others mind answering any questions on here!

If you do get stuck on the syncing, then I am sure there are members on here who use it and who will be able to help!
                                      Elaine

Comment

Oops! I did not think of the Companion Guide.

Again, many thanks.

Hugo

Comment

Working...
                                        X