Solomon Smith criminal record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solomon Smith criminal record

Hi after finding out almost all I thought about my great grandfather Solomon Smith, Amanda who also shares Solomon on her tree heard a new story from her mother. Her mother said that Solomon was jailed for 2 years for theft whilst he was a postman which came as a shock.

Solomon served as a gunner in WW1 but then submitted an application after the War to join the postal service and had a great reference from his commanding officer in his war record which describes him as a " honest, hard working, sober, conscientious, respectable and a wiling worker". I thought he joined the postal service in 1920 but I then found a postal record on ancestry with him joining in 1926 so I am guessing that maybe the criminal record was obtained after 1926.

Myself and Amanda have checked the new records on FMP but nothing showed up. However they only go to 1934. Does anyone know how I would find a criminal record after 1934?

Solomon's full name is Solomon Robert Smith (he is sometimes known as Robert Solomon Smith). His date of birth was 28th November 1895. They lived in and around Stepney until about 1935 before moving to Ilford in Essex.

Can anyone suggest where we could search next?

Thanks

Steven

google his name?

find a local newspaper, and see if there was a write up ..................... possibly by googling the place where he lived and finding the newspaper(s)
    Last edited by Sylvia C; 22-02-13, 03:44.
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

did you check the newspapers on fmp?

Comment

Hi Sylvia no luck on google. Thanks Kyle never thought of that will try the newspaper records.

A family story says that Solomon and his wife Isabella had a close friend Eric Rolfe who stayed with them for many years and that their 4th child Marjorie was in fact Isabella and Eric's. Marjorie was born 1925 so maybe they had an affair when Solomon was in jail but that's just speculation at the moment. But maybe 1924/1925 is a period to focus on.

Thanks

Steven

Comment

Is there anywhere else you can find criminal records? Can you write to the court or does say the National Archives have anything? Running into a brick wall. Checked FMP, google, newspapers but nothing. Just not sure where to look next

Thanks

Steven

Comment

Hi Steven
            Have you checked through the ERs on Ancestry year by year in case he goes missing for 1 or 2 years. Eric Rolfe appears to have lived with them 1930-1935 & then they all moved to Ilford.
            i can't remember what years you looked at the ERs for Ilford addresses.
            Moggie

Comment

Good idea Moggie thats a job for tomorrow. I remember only finding them on some ER's. I can find Solomon's father Solomon at Canal Road, Stepney but I think they didn't have Ilford on the ancestry ER's but will see what I can find

Steven

Comment

Hi Steven
                I think from memory that he was listed as Robert & not Solomon in the ERs.
                When you were looking for Clara I think you found Solomon/Robert Isabella & Eric Rolfe in the ERs in Ilford in 1939, can't remember the address. Have you searched through "Clara's thread" to see if you found them prior to 1939?
                Moggie

Comment

You have some memory Moggie - I had saved some images to a folder ages ago and have Solomon (aka Robert), Isabella and Eric Rolfe at 94 St Ann's Road, Stepney in 1921, 1931 & 1933 and a copy of a postal record book from 1926 showing Soloman (slight spelling difference) Robert Smith so I will start to concentrate from 1926 to 1931 first and see how I go

Thanks

Steven

Comment

I now have them in 1926 & 1927 at 94 St Ann's Road just the 2 of them but nothing in 1928 and 1929 and when they are back in 1930 & 1931 at 94 St Ann's Road this time Eric Rolfe is with them as well as Isabella's sister Rose Adey and her husband William. I now need to focus on finding Isabel in 1928 and 1929

Steven

Comment

have you emailed essex archives about court registers? i have an uncle who was in prison for 2 consecutive census entries, and emailed northumberland (where the prison was), durham and some other county. they were not at all helpful, all saying each other had what i needed. i can't find him in any newspapers.

so maybe email essex, or any other london archive that may have records, and see if you can get anywhere that way?

Comment

Thanks Kylejustin will put some email feelers out.

I asked my dad and he said his father(my grandad) never ever mentioned his father going to jail and my dad thought that would have been something he mentioned. I therefore have another potential theory. My grandad was born 1919. In Solomon's war record there is a letter recommending him to the postal service at the end of WW1. So I thought that was strange that I found a note of him on ancestry joining the post office in 1926 why the gap. In his war record he is known as Robert Solomon Smith therefore cold he have joined straight after WW1 then maybe committed a crime before my grandad was old enough to remember and then rejoined the post office under the name Soloman (slight spelling difference)? A long shot as surely they would not re-employ someone who went to jail? Is this a potential or should I continue looking at the years that have gaps in the ER's

Steven

Comment

Hi really sorry to bring up an old post but hit a total brick wall and wondered if anyone else had any ideas?

Checked newspapers, ancestry, went back ER searches, asked my dad and aunt but nothing. I was thinking of emailing post post office archives to see if they kept records of staff disciplined. I hoped that there might have been some central record of criminal records.

I think one issue is over Solomon's name. I think he sometimes goes by name of Solomon but may have been more commonly known as Robert Smith his middle name. That way any records could easily be "hidden" by him as Robert Smith would obviously be harder to trace?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Would love to find out the last piece on Solomon

Many thanks

Steven

Comment

My grandfather was a postman and a few years ago I paid the Postal Museum for information from his records. They told me when he was appointed and when he retired; how much he was paid in the last couple of years of service and sent me some of his superannuation papers showing pension details, number of days off sick in the last few years of his employment etc. Nothing much else.

STG
                            Last edited by SmallTownGirl; 02-11-13, 17:43.
                            Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Thanks STG I did that a few years ago too but all they could give me was the date he started and his entry in the book when he was taken on. I might try them again.

It seems a strange one. All the stories I heard about him were good and the notes made by his commanding officer after WW1 recommending him for a position in the Post Office were excellent. He said his character was honest, hard working and trustworthy.

My grandad was born in 1919 and he said nothing to my dad when he was alive about his father being in prison. Unless of course maybe my great grandmother (his wife Isabel) did something wrong and he took the blame? Maybe I am wrong but you think working for the postal service did he steal some mail and get caught?

Steven

Comment

Managed to find the date that Solomon joined the postal service - it was March 1926 in London LPS East. The registration number was 3540 and minute number 4682. My wife also typed Solomon Robert Smith into google and his name came up in the London Gazette dated 9th April 1926 confirming him joining!!! Sometimes the easiest stuff comes from simple google searches.

So now I know when he joined - do you think the Post Office might have records of staff dismissed or prosecuted?

Steven

Comment

Does the London Gazette contain crime records?

Steven

Comment

Spent all afternoon looking at electoral registers. I decided to start in 1926 when Solomon joined the post office. I have them in 1926 & 1927 at 94 St Ann's Road Stepney but nothing in 1928 and 1929 and then they are back in 1930 & 1931 at 94 St Ann's Road. So certainly a gap in 1928 and 2 years which tied up with the story of serving 2 years in jail. I also emailed the post office archives to see if they anything.

Steven

Comment

I suppose its possible that the family "story" about being in prison might not be correct? If you can't find the information it might be because its not there. Just a thort!!!

Anne

Comment

Ordinarily I would agree Anne but my tree has a habit of funny stories and tit bits being true - haven't come across a story yet that I couldn't prove. Need to get on the case again

Thanks

Steven

Comment

Working...
                                        X