Disappeared without trace?? - Sarah Finch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disappeared without trace?? - Sarah Finch

Sarah Finch, ninth & youngest child of Robert Finch & his wife Harriet (nee Cook) was born in Brisley, Norfolk, where she was baptised 21 Mar 1841.

In 1851 census, she was recorded in the parental home in Brisley, aged 10.

We have full details of the lives of all her siblings, but know nothing more about Sarah. We haven't found a later census entry nor a marriage or death registration.

Can anyone help, please? (Not to be confused with her cousin Sarah Finch, born Horningtoft 1827, married William Cole in 1851 and lived with husband in Matishall until their deaths in 1900.)

I am out for lunch, so won't be able to reply for a couple of hours.

Many thanks, Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Have you got the family in 1861 Janet and she isn't there?
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Hi Chrissie,
      Thankyou for your interest. Sarah is not with her parents in 1861 or 1871 - they had both died by 1881.
      Nor does she turn up with any of her siblings 1861 - 1911.

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

there are these deaths for a Sarah Finch in Norfolk
        Depwade 1854/1855/1858
        Norwich 1854/1856
        Guiltcross 1859

could she be one of those?
        Last edited by Guest; 20-02-13, 14:07.

Comment

I was wondering the same thing Val. So many Sarah Finch records that it's difficult to judge isn't it.
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I'm not good at areas so not sure which reg district Brisley would come under

Comment

Thanks for looking and reporting that Val.
              Mitford was Sarah's "home" registration district.
              As no age at death will be given for those 3, we'll have to try and do a bit of researching around them. (Sarah is only a twig on the fringes of our tree, so we can't justify the expense of risking buying a "wrong" cert; it's just that we would prefer to tie up this loose end IF we can.)

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I don't know if this will help

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

there are Norfolk parish registers but you have to browse the pages, the coverage of years is brilliant
                There's a baptism for Ruth dau of Robert and Har. she was baptised at Horningtoft and is the right age, father's occ shoemaker, born Horningtoft 1851. There are other Horningtoft records in the BT's etc not sure how much you have.

There is a marriage you have probably seen but she would be 16. It's as Sarah Finch marrying John Drew Munford IGI and as Sarah Finch-Spencer on BMD's, otherwise hoped the parish records might help narrow Sarah's down but it's a bit of a slog
                Last edited by Elaine; 20-02-13, 19:21.
                Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Thanks for that Elaine.
                  The Norfolk parish images are a great resource aren't they? (I've used them a lot for my Finch family research.)
                  I'm grateful to you for pointing out that marriage, because I would never have come across it in the GRO index, due to her being recorded as Sarah Finch Spencer - sadly, Munford images for marriages stop at 1837 (as do Brisley, my Sarah's home parish.)
                  I've been trying to quickly track down John Drew and Sarah Spencer in census, in the hope of finding Sarah's pob - no luck so far.
                  Munford is near Thetford and rather a long way away from Brisley, and the final name Spencer also suggests it's not the right lady, but certainly worth investigating further, even for elimination purposes.
                  Many thanks for your suggestions.

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I've just found the John Drew/Sarah Finch Spencer marriage on Freereg. The marriage was at West Tofts, but it wasn't my lady as the bride's father was Robert Crow. :(

Back to the drawing board.

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

one more down, hope you find something
                      Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                      http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Working...
                      X