locating a death in bolivia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• locating a death in bolivia?

after the billioneth time looking in ancestry's probate index, i half heartedly entered a name. well found nothing. scrolled down throught them all, then found the word 'bolivia' lo and behold it was the right man. they just spelled his middle name differently, and ancestry didn't show it at the top of the page!

my question is this: how do i find out if there is a death cert? he died in tolapalca, oruro, bolivia in 1899. the probate was granted in 1902, so there must have been some form of proof? fmp is showing nothing, except military deaths during world war I. ideas?

Morning Kyle,
    I suspect you have access to most on-line resources but have you considered writing to The British Embassy/Consul in Bolivia. Consular Offices are normally very helpful. Good Luck.

Google found this;

UK in Bolivia - the official website for the British Embassy in Bolivia

Last edited by AlanC; 20-02-13, 07:48.

Comment

thanx for that alan, i had no idea. i've emailed them. i also noticed that familysearch has burials for bolivia, and the time period i need is there too. oruro is covered, and i have found the closest town to tolapalca, so i wonder if he was buried there? the co ordinates for tolapalca don't seem to show anything on google maps. maybe it's a mine? there was a rumour i was told this morning that someone in the family sold a tin mine in bolivia. we had no idea there was a real link until the probate file came up.

Comment

consulate says they don't have records that far back, which i knew anyway i guess. but they didnt volunteer where a death in 1899 might be registered with the british government.

i will look those burials and hope something comes to light.

Comment

Sorry that didnt work out Kyle...........why cant you have easy ones)

Comment

There's a report of his death here; my Spanish isn't good, but I'm afraid it looks very gruesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
              There's a report of his death here; my Spanish isn't good, but I'm afraid it looks very gruesome.

http://www.librosmaravillosos.com/ll...apitulo03.html
              Here it is in English. http://translate.google.co.uk/transl...apitulo03.html
              Margaret

Comment

oh god mary. i'm in tears. he looked so kind and warm in his picture, to know that was his fate.....i could not wish that on anybody.

Comment

after seeing what you said on the other thread Kyle I cannot bear to read it ,poor you

Comment

Sorry, Kyle, I wasn't sure whether to post it or not. Poor man.

Comment

it's better to know it, at least now i know what happened. it has been years trying to find out what he did after 1885, when he sailed to australia. i think he may have had something to do with tin mines, so i'm going to get the will. after knowing how he died, there must be some paperwork in the probate proving his death, maybe it will tell what he was doing there. and maybe why he didn't leave when the revolution began. it's just so hard to think barbarity like that occurred so recently.

Comment

Have you found out anything about his wife? I had a quick look for a marriage, and didn't find one, and without knowing her age I couldn't find her in the 1901 UK census, but perhaps she was in Aus.
                        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 23-02-13, 12:38.

Comment

i don't think he was married mary. sarah anne elizabeth was also granted probate of his brother arthur and their father william all in 1902. the brother died in 1892, father 1901. i suspect sarah is actually lallie/sallie or lottie (lottie in one census, lallie in the next) b.1859 kingston jamaica, who was married to the father. but i can't find her after 1901, and can't find a marriage for the father.

Comment

Ah, OK. She's called Sarah Elizabeth Ann Shaw, widow, in the probate calendar, so I assumed she was his widow, but if she also got those other probates in 1902, it does seem likely that she's the same person.

Comment

i'm just hoping one of those probates reveals her relationship. and hopefully a way to track her down. if she isn't one of the wives from this family, i can't place her among william's brothers or nephews, so she may be have a more distant role in the family. but being william's widow seems to me the logical explanation.

Comment

Working...
                              X