User feedback on Irish censuses 1901 and 1911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• User feedback on Irish censuses 1901 and 1911

Just curiosity really - I'm wondering if anyone has had any success in having their suggested corrections re transcription errors etc accepted and if so, what was the timescale? I've sent quite a few suggested corrections but none have yet been incorporated. Some date back over 12-18 months and I can't decide whether to resubmit these older suggestions or whether to just wait patiently in the hope they will eventually get incorporated...

This is what it says on the National Archives of Ireland website at http://www.census.nationalarchives.i...us_errors.html

Census online: user feedback
    The National Archives has received many suggested corrections to probable errors in the index of names on the Census online site, mainly related to misspelt names. These suggested corrections are arriving via the automated feedback facility on the site. Having viewed some of the images, users will no doubt have realised the scale of work involved in digitising the Census content. We are very grateful for this assistance from our users, and would like to assure respondents that their corrections will be incorporated into the site as soon as they can be verified and amended (if verified) within our database/application system. Please bear with us until then, and continue to let us know if you spot any further transcription errors. Regrettably, the National Archives is not in a position to respond to users’ comments on an individual basis.
    A dynamic error transcription form, on which you can enter corrections, is available as a link from every household search/browse results page throughout the census site.
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Iinteresting but I have never found any on Irish Census that I have needed to correct.

Janet

Comment

just to be devil's advocate, but have the 'transcription errors' you've reported actually been errors? for instance have you found your 'smith' family as 'smyth' and you want it to be shown as 'smith' on the index? if that is the sort of problem, they won't change that, because 'smyth' is what is written on the record.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
        just to be devil's advocate, but have the 'transcription errors' you've reported actually been errors? for instance have you found your 'smith' family as 'smyth' and you want it to be shown as 'smith' on the index? if that is the sort of problem, they won't change that, because 'smyth' is what is written on the record.
        Definitely transcription errors! I can quite happily live with variant spellings and have come across plenty of these over the last few years.
        Check out this one I found only yesterday:
        transcription here http://www.census.nationalarchives.i...Office/392987/
        and copy of census image here:

8 people, 1 mistranscription of forenames, 5 - possibly 6 - of surnames!
        And this one doesn't even feature particularly poor handwriting by the enumerator - there are lots of internal crosschecks the transcriber could have seen on the image page re differentiating beween capital S and capital L, etc. Sneefe as surname on line 7 doesn't seem right as a transcription either but I wasnt sure enough on this one to a suggest a correction.
        It's not always just the names either. Just a couple of weeks ago, came across a child less than one year old with relation to head of family transcribed as nurse, instead of niece ...
        Christine
        Last edited by Karamazov; 20-02-13, 01:37.
        Researching:
        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

According to comments on another site, NAS don’t currently have the resources to correct the errors referred to them. They are just being stockpiled until such time as they can be addressed. However there are plans to add the 1926 Irish census (excluding Northern Ireland) to the site at some time in the near future, so hopefully the resources for that work will include dealing with errors in the 2 earlier censuses.
          Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Elwyn View Post
            According to comments on another site, NAS don’t currently have the resources to correct the errors referred to them. They are just being stockpiled until such time as they can be addressed. However there are plans to add the 1926 Irish census (excluding Northern Ireland) to the site at some time in the near future, so hopefully the resources for that work will include dealing with errors in the 2 earlier censuses.
            Elwyn,
            Exciting news re the 1926 Irish census. Have you any idea when "sometime in the near future" might be?
            Thanks
            Christine
            Researching:

Comment

Christine,

The news was announced by the Irish Heritage Minister nearly a year ago, but I don't have a
              date. Here's a link which gives a bit of background:

Elwyn

PS In case it's not self evident, there was no census in Ireland in 1921 due to civil disorder, and so they decided to have one in 1926, when things were a bit more stable. Northern Ireland also had a census at the same time in 1926 but my understanding is that it has been destroyed.
              Last edited by Elwyn; 21-02-13, 20:10.
              Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

i think it's in ironic that the irish in their bid for freedom destroyed their own heritage. sad, all those records are gone.

Comment

The 1926 census for Northern Ireland was reportedly pulped for spare paper (as were the 1861 - 1891 censuses). No real bid for freedom, I am afraid, just a bid for more toilet paper.
                  Elwyn

Comment

Anyone know how I could attempt to correct this one?

It should say Martin & Lizzie not Marlin & Lezzie..
                    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

lennon2011

You should complete the on-line correction form and submit it. When National Archives in Dublin have the resources, they'll deal with it (and the many other similar errors that have been reported to them). In the meantime, as I understand it, they are just collecting them and sitting on them.

Elwyn
                      Elwyn

Comment

Cheers, I'll attempt theat, does anyone know if there's a way to find earlier cunsus for Ireland?

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
                          Cheers, I'll attempt theat, does anyone know if there's a way to find earlier cunsus for Ireland?
                          No complete census records survive pre 1901. You could, however, try the Griffiths Valuation as a census substitute. This was the first full scale valuation of Irish property, carried out between 1847 and 1864.
                          Here's the link:

it really helps if you can pinpoint the county, and the union and parish where your ancestors lived...

Good luck!
                          Christine
                          Researching:

Comment

Hmm, I have them being all over the Kilrush area of Co Clare, or Co Moyato(?)

Comment

These were the origonal sites that I used for the census for 1901 and if you look at the top you'll see the Tubridy's and it mentions the name Lizzie. http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coc...ingham84_6.htm

Now the images I got from the National Archive lists the name Kate as being 36 and living with John under 'sister' when I took 36 away from 1911 I got the year 1875 which is the year that I have written down for Lizzie. So either Kate and Lizzie are twins or there's a mixup somewhere. The same can be said for John because I have the name Mary instead. Are they all twins or was there a mixup somewhere?

Comment

Doubtful they are all twins!

More likely to be other members of the family and the wrong ages attributed. I did find that with Irish census ages often do not match from one census to another, but this could be something to do with an Irish Pensions Act that came in around 1908. I have written about this in the dim and distant past and I will see if I can find it. To obtain a pension people had to produce baptism cerificates, which often proved people had wrong ages, and of course I am sure you often had people rounding up the age to get to the required qualification age for the pension!

The following website gives you an indication what the Pension was and I am sure further googling will help:

The following website may help better re Irish Pension Act as it was the one I had in mind, and is another great census substitute for those tracing Irish ancestors.

Unintentionally, the introduction of the Old Age Pension was to provide important genealogical material. Find out how Irish pension records might help in your family history search.

I thought the above site was on the Irish Research section but I cannot see it, and feel it should be there? Can anyone put it on to the Irish Research?

Janet
                                Last edited by Janet; 23-02-13, 15:12.

Comment

Due to many Tubridy families (not connected) naming their children the same names it's difficult. I've done an Ancestry search using Lizzie/Kate and it's Kate that comes up, granted I can't actually click on the names but it's definately Kate and not Lizzie that comes up. If their mother couldn't read/write maybe that could explain it?

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
                                    Due to many Tubridy families (not connected) naming their children the same names it's difficult. I've done an Ancestry search using Lizzie/Kate and it's Kate that comes up, granted I can't actually click on the names but it's definately Kate and not Lizzie that comes up. If their mother couldn't read/write maybe that could explain it?

If I were you I would go direct to the online census records at NAI.
                                    I've just done a swift trawl and there are 208 Tubridys in Co Clare in 1901 and 184 in 1911 whereas it looks like the records you have accessed are only for one particular townland. (i wasn't sure from your post how certain you were about the precise location of your family, so its always better to start broad and then narrow down which you can do via the NAI site.) Co Clare is where the Tubridy surname is concentrated - there are only about twenty more Tubridys scattered throughout all the other Irish counties in 1901. I've also seen Tubbridy and Tubardy as variant spellings.
                                    You then have options to sort by first name, Townland or street, DED, etc plus you can also see the original images to see all family members on that particular household return. its also useful to click on the option to show all information as then you can see occupation, religion, marital status.
                                    In short, you can do far more "twiddling" to explore various families in the hope that you can find yours. You can also click on the townland to find other families living in the same area, which can also be very helpful.
                                    The other county you may want is Co Mayo, not Moyato.
                                    As Janet says above, ages in Irish censuses should be taken with a huge pinch of salt. I've had family members who have aged 21 years between the 2 censuses!

Christine
                                    Researching:

Comment

i find the irish in general have no idea of age. searching english census, irish and scottish census, and my own families' births death and marriages in australia, ages are very random at best. this fluidity is also common among scots. don't why the english were so good at knowing age!

Comment

In general, people in Ireland in the 1800s didn’t celebrate birthdays and so often had little accurate idea of their ages. Alexander Irvine was born in 1863 in Antrim town and became a Minister living in the US. This extract from his book “The Chimney Corner revisited” perhaps explains why people often had to guess their age:

“My mother kept a mental record of the twelve births. None of us ever knew, or cared to know, when we were born. When I heard of anybody in the more fortunate class celebrating a birthday I considered it a foolish imitation of the Queen’s birthday, which rankled in our little minds with 25th December or 12th July. In manhood there were times when I had to prove I was born somewhere, somewhen, and then it was that I discovered that I also had a birthday. The clerk of the parish informed me.”
                                        Last edited by Elwyn; 24-02-13, 09:45.
                                        Elwyn

Comment

Working...
                                        X