Familysearch.org

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Familysearch.org

A couple of people have told me that the info that I need is on the familysearch website but I can`t find it anywhere on there. I know a lot of people have been confused by the search engines on there, so can anyone else have a look please.
    I am looking for Adam Gross, born about 1849 in Hesse Gassel, Germany, father Daniel Gross.
    Thanks

I can't find his birth Lyn. There are several later births with a father Adam Gross and mother Anna Maria Schlenz, but they are in Böhl (Speyer), Bayern, Germany. Is that anywhere near Hesse Gassel?
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Ahhhhhhh sorry - found it now - here's the page -
      https://familysearch.org/search/reco...urname%3AGross~
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

These are the only two I can find with father Daniel -
        Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

- but have no idea if they are anywhere near Hesse Gassel!
        Elaine

Comment

Hi Lyn,
          I've found these but I think they are probably way off in terms of location as they're both in Bavaria. Is your location possibly Hesse-Kassel? (Although still miles off for location...)

name: Adam Gross
          baptism/christening date:
          baptism/christening place:
          birth date: 24 May 1850
          birthplace: Speyer, Bayern, Germany
          death date:
          name note:
          race:
          father's name: Daniel Gross
          father's birthplace:
          father's age:
          mother's name: Henriette Hoffmann
          mother's birthplace:
          mother's age:
          indexing project (batch) number: C03655-2
          system origin: Germany-EASy
          source film number: 192365
          reference number: 2:30MSMM
          Citing this Record

"Germany, Births and Baptisms, 1558-1898," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NN1D-FYG : accessed 19 Feb 2013), Adam Gross, ; citing Speyer, Bayern, Germany; FHL microfilm 192365.

name: Adam Gross
          baptism/christening date: 10 Aug 1845
          baptism/christening place: Spesbach, Bayern, Germany
          birth date: 30 Jul 1845
          birthplace: Nanz Dietzweiler
          death date:
          name note:
          race:
          father's name: Daniel Gross
          father's birthplace:
          father's age:
          mother's name: Philippina Kalmer
          mother's birthplace:
          mother's age:
          indexing project (batch) number: C96323-2
          system origin: Germany-EASy
          source film number: 193178
          reference number: v 8 p 113
          Citing this Record

"Germany, Births and Baptisms, 1558-1898," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NC5K-JXH : accessed 19 Feb 2013), Adam Gross, 10 Aug 1845; citing Nanz Dietzweiler; FHL microfilm 193178.
          Researching:
          HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Well, it says Hesse Gassel on the census , so I have no idea if it is near Bavaria or not, I will have a look. 1845 seems a little early though. The 1850 one could be right.
            Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by LynSpain View Post
              Well, it says Hesse Gassel on the census , so I have no idea if it is near Bavaria or not, I will have a look. 1845 seems a little early though. The 1850 one could be right.
              Thanks
              I'm not familiar with German censuses so don't know if there were any conventions re place names (eg Land first followed by town) My German geography is not red hot, but i was over in Hesse last summer and know that Kassel is the largest city in Northern Hesse. (I've also seen alt spelling of Cassel, so a 19th century variant spelling of Gassel might be a possibility???).
              Googling for Hesse Gassel, Gassel Germany, Hesse-gassel only seems to throw up links to Kassel as mentioned above...
              If the birthplace you've got does turn out to be Kassel in Hesse, I think it unfortunately rules out the two records that Elaine in Spain and I found which are both from Bayern (Bavaria)
              Christine
              Researching:
              HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Thanks Christine. the census`s I was referring to are the 1881-1901 UK ones. I too looked at google and I don`t think Bavaria is near.
                Back to the drawing board I guess. I was hoping someone with German Ancestry access would find something.

Comment

i find there isn't much online for anyone with german ancestry who doesn't have it from bavaria, wurtemberg or westphalen.
                  i hired a researcher to look into my german heritage. he's been magnificent. but i knew the town names after years of uncovering them. i suppose the census is never specific enough is it?

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                    i find there isn't much online for anyone with german ancestry who doesn't have it from bavaria, wurtemberg or westphalen.
                    i hired a researcher to look into my german heritage. he's been magnificent. but i knew the town names after years of uncovering them. i suppose the census is never specific enough is it?
                    Yes, I just thought if I could find someone with worldwide Ancestry it would all just unfold before me. It is obviously a lot more difficult as on the census`s it just says German or foreign !

Comment

and you couldn't find naturalisation papers could you?

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                        and you couldn't find naturalisation papers could you?
                        How do I look for them please ?

Comment

This may help just put the surname in the box

Edna

Comment

Originally posted by clematised View Post
                            http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/r...ed-britons.htm

This may help just put the surname in the box

Edna
                            Thanks Edna, I`ll have a look !

Comment

Working...
                            X