Professor of Music ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Professor of Music ?

I have just transcribed a marrige in 1891 where the Groom's Rank or Profession is that of Professor of Music yet he signs with an 'X'.................bit like today really; call yourself what you like as long as no-one challenges you.

Generally speaking, at that time, it just meant working as something to do with music, a professor being 3. a person who claims skill and instructs others in some sport, occupation, etc.

I've got a couple of harp/piano teachers who in just one census described themselves as professors.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Most "professors of music" I have come across appear to have given themselves that title but I have one of these at the other end of the scale (pun entirely intended), William Henry Monk, he wrote several famous hymn tunes including that for Abide With Me, was the first compiler of Hymns Ancient & Modern and was organist at Stoke Newington for many years, I was pleasantly surprised when I googled him as I'd expected he was yet another music teacher.

Comment

Working...
      X