Probate Calendar info please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probate Calendar info please

Could someone please give me the details for the entry - Sarah Louisa Gibson - died 1955 in Kent

Death was registered in Dartford - 1st qtr

Thanks a lot

Sarah Louisa Gibson. Death: 8 Jan 1955. Probate: 3 Feb 1955.

Of 17 Hillingdon Rd., Gravesend, Kent. Wife of George Gibson. Died at The Gravesend and North Kent Hospital.

Hope that is what you wanted.

Angela

Comment

Thanks Angela - does it say probate was granted to George? - also if you don't mind - value of the estate

Many thanks
      Sue - currently in Germany

Comment

Yes, probate granted to George Gibson - of no occupation. Effects £233 17s 8d

Angela

Comment

It also says that it was an administration that was granted in Manchester - which seems a bit odd.
          Margaret

Comment

Many thanks again Angela - much appreciated

Comment

Yes, this is so, and I don't know why, but, out of 5 of my husband's ancestors who wrote wills, and who all lived in Dorset, three were administered in London, and two in Llandudno!

Angela

Comment

Thanks Margaret in a VERY quick search so far I haven't found a suitable post 1955 death for George in Kent/Essex where I would have expected to find it - so may need to look further afield

Angela - all the Llandudno ones I have seen were from memory during WW2 - I'm guessing staff were evacuated there??????????

Comment

My legal executive friend informs me that wills can be proved anywhere, but the location chosen is often dependent upon where the executor/s reside.

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

A lot of "odd" probate office locations occur during and after WWII, when whole offices were presumably "evacuated". I have several southern wills proved in Llandudno. A trend followed to this day by HMRC, where the tax affairs of all the employees of big companies are dealt with at one office, irrespective of where the employees live.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                      My legal executive friend informs me that wills can be proved anywhere, but the location chosen is often dependent upon where the executor/s reside.

Jay
                      I can understand this as you have to personally go to the office and swear an oath in respect of a will but I would not have thought that the case for an 'administration'.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                        I can understand this as you have to personally go to the office and swear an oath in respect of a will but I would not have thought that the case for an 'administration'.

Margaret
                        The same rules apply Margaret. When we applied for letters of administration after Mum's death (she hadn't made a will) we went to the probate office to swear our oaths.
                        Previously when dad died mum had a solicitor to help her apply for the letters of admin but still had to swear her oath, though in her case it was in front of a local justice.
                        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Working...
                        X