No announcement yet.

Born 1903 Birth Registration 1942...??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Born 1903 Birth Registration 1942...??

Hi Folks,
    Among some old photos I found a Birth Certificate.
    I am puzzled as the person was born 3/11/1903... (4 years before his parents were married) and the certificate was registered 17/10/1942, (his father is the Informant and mother is now shown as married to his father)... Has anyone any idea how or why this could have happened?
    No wonder I couldn't actually find his birth certificate!! Thanks.

I would imagine this was a re-registration of the birth to include the father's details. The Legitimacy Act of 1926 enabled parents to do this following their marriage if the child was born before they married.

You may well find 2 entries in the BMD registers and sometimes, a note alongside the entries linking them together. There can also sometimes be an annotation on the actual certificate. The earlier entry may be in the mother's maiden name
    Jackie

Comment

Maybe the birth was not registered.
      My mother was born 1914 but her birth was never registered. It was actually registered in 1966 - which was when she needed a birth certificate in order to get a passport.
      Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine and Jackie for your help. I have indeed found his birth certificate under mmothers maiden name... which is what I expected. I had not heard of the Legitimacy Act of 1926 so I have learned something nem. Thanks again. Yvonne.

Comment

Working...
        X