Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Everett - Birth Certificate.

Hello to you all,

This is my first post, and I hope someone out there can help me find the Birth Index record for my GGGF William Everett, born in 1860.

I have a parish record for his baptism at Liverpool St Peter dated 6 May 1860. His birth is given as 1 Feb 1860. I have tried, unsuccessfully, to find a record of his birth.

His father, another William, was born 1822, and his mother's name is Sarah - confirmed on the baptism record and three following census returns.

I need his Birth Cert. in order to find his mother Sarah's maiden name, as I have also been unable to find the parents' marriage details.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Angela.

Hello Angela

welcome to the forum!.. it might be that there was no birth cert, some people especially before 1875 either registered the birth OR had their child baptised, [sometimes if you were lucky, you will find both, but, certainly not the rule]

did William & Sarah have any other children? it might be that if they had children after 1875 you could purchase their b/cert and get the MN that way..
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

How about the William Robert Charles EVERITT registered in the March Quarter of 1860 in West Derby. My Everett ancestors frequently turn up as Everitt.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Gosh, Darksecretz, that was quick!

Thanks for the info. I had not known about the either/or situation regarding Birth and Baptism choices before 1875, so will remember that for future reference, and will not spend so much time on potentially fruitless searches.

Thanks, too, for mentioning other siblings. Sadly, from my point of view, William was the youngest, having three older sisters born in 1851, 1854 and 1856. I tend not to follow the females too closely, as too many other surnames 'muddy the waters', but I will return to them and see if their births were registered.

Angela

Comment

Thanks JudithM, yes I had considered the different spellings, but my Liverpool ancestors do appear to be pretty well constant with the 'e'. But thank you for suggesting another area to consider.

Angela

Comment

Would his mothers maiden name be Sarah Selina Farley who married William Everett 14th March 1858, Parish of Hounslow Father of Groom Charles Everett a Labourer Sarah's father is not on the Marriage , Sarah died in 1885 in Bedfont, Middlesex and forgot to add Sarah was born 24th November 1836 in Bedfont, hope this is the right one,,Liz

Comment

I can't find a christening for any of the other children and all the possible births (Everett/Everitt) seem to be at least a couple of years out . I wonder if the fact that the father William was born in Scotland has any bearing on it?

For anyone looking this is the link to the family in 1861 -

and the christening -
              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I came across this marriage where one of the potential brides was a Sarah:

Name: EVERET, William
                Registration district: ] Liverpool
                County: Lancashire
                Year of registration: 1850
                Quarter of registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
                Volume no: [?] 20
                Page no: 293
                REED, Sarah
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:
                England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Thanks Liz, but my Everett ancestors were, to my knowledge, mainly Liverpudlians.

Angela

Comment

Thanks, Chrissie and Elizabeth for your references.

I, too, had picked up on the place of birth as 'Scotland, Leith' and puzzled over it for a while. I then came across an 1871 Census return showing, in the Municipal Ward of...Heading, the word Scotland. Those of us brought up in Liverpool will know Scotland Road very well as the main road north, out of Liverpool, towards Bootle, Seaforth and Litherland. The area around Scotland Road must have, at some time, been known as the Municipal Borough of Scotland! It doesn't explain why Scotland was written as his Birthplace on the Census, but I can find no other reference to Scotland in his parents' details.

Thank you Elizabeth for the reference to Sarah Reed. I had picked up on that, and knowing that my Great Grandfather's mother was a Sarah, just wanted to check up if I had the correct surname.

I have now revisited my 'shoebox' on ancestry and found I had stored away Alexander, b.1863 and brother to William (1860), and whom I had completely forgotten! I looked for him, without much hope after what Darksecretz had advised, on the Birth Index, and there he was! The only child in the family to have had his birth registered.

I have now sent off for his Birth Certificate, and if it's right, I should soon be able to carry on, knowing I have the right Sarah!

Thanks to all who have helped.

Angela
                    Last edited by Anglebar15; 16-02-13, 15:38. Reason: spelling

Comment

have you looked on lancsbmd or just the indexes on freereg? apparently quite a few lancashire events didn't make it into the general register office's indexes.

it just may turn out that your ancestors births are in the lancs index only. and their births could be out by a few years, census returns are hardly accurate with age, usually out by one or two years at least. add up to a decade for irish or scots, they genuinly have no idea how old they were.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                        have you looked on lancsbmd or just the indexes on freereg? apparently quite a few lancashire events didn't make it into the general register office's indexes.

it just may turn out that your ancestors births are in the lancs index only. and their births could be out by a few years, census returns are hardly accurate with age, usually out by one or two years at least. add up to a decade for irish or scots, they genuinly have no idea how old they were.
                        But I'm pretty sure the 1861 census would have been accurate - parents would know if William was 1 year old.
                        I still have a gut feeling for that Mar 1860 registration for William Everitt, especially as I couldn't find another 1 year old William born in Liverpool on 1861 census. The Everitt spelling could have crept in when the GRO index was copied from handwriting to typewritten many years ago, or could have been mistranscribed from the original entry - after all, if I have the right William in 1861 his surname has been transcribed as Everott in Find My Past, and as I said earlier my own Everetts were often mistranscribed as Everitt - it only takes a careless writer who forgets to dot the i
                        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

does anyone have the 1871 census for this family, I have been looking but can't spot it, I have found the bapt and 1861/1881 census but not the 1871 ...
                          Julie

Comment

as I can't spot the 1871 and see/confirm if Alexander is with his parents, I had a look and spotted this:

DEATH
                            Name: Alexander Everitt
                            Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1863
                            Registration district: West Derby
                            Inferred County: Lancashire
                            Volume: 8b
                            Page: 313

I know that you said about the spelling, but if they didn't know how to spell it, just write it, maybe when they told it to whoever was writing the information down, they just asked 'is this right' and they said yes.. as we know today, many words sound the same when you say them, but they can have totally different spellings!..

I get so cross with the teaching method too.. phonics, then they teach the children how to spell it correctly... [sorry rant over] :smilee:
                            Last edited by Darksecretz; 17-02-13, 10:03.
                            Julie

Comment

Yes, my first port of call is always via all the Liverpool records for BMD as well as the Lancashire records. With the indexes you can never be totally certain you've found the right person. I have the name William in my family going back, from my late brother, for at least six generations, and there are thousands of them in and around Liverpool over the years, but I have definitely 'buttoned up' William (b.1860) and his family - his 5th child John Alfred, was known to me as uncle Jack as a child. (He died in 1951, and as I was born in 1940 was old enough to remember him, and his wife Katie, who didn't quite make it to my wedding in 1961!)

I have his Liverpool, Lancashire Baptism Record for 6 May 1860 clearly showing his Birth date as 1 Feb 1860. It was the fact I couldn't find his Birth record in order to get his mother's maiden name which was 'bugging' me, but Darksecretz's explanation about registrations before 1875, and her suggestion that siblings records may help in that direction led me to Alexander, born 1863, who does show up on the Birth Index, giving the vol and page numbers I was looking for! His Birth Certificate has now been ordered - here's hoping he's the right family!

Yes, it is tricky when the transcription results show different spellings for Everett, not only with 'a' 'e' 'i' 'o' or a single 't', but on the 1871 Census, for example, I've also found 'my' William as Eacrett! So, yes a certain amount of detective work has to go on when there are different, or unusual, spellings!

Again, thank you all for your helpful suggestions - and the speed with which you responded.

Angela

Comment

Thanks JudithM, yes I had considered the different spellings, but my Liverpool ancestors do appear to be pretty well constant with the 'e'.
                                Just a quick thought about the surname spelling: births were often registered by the mother rather than the father of the child. She would have been much less aware of the usual spelling of the surname, even if she was literate.

scuda
                                Pitman / Pittman in North Glos (Didbrook, Prestbury, Longhope, Tewkesbury, Stow, Cirencester, etc), London & Australia

Comment

William Everett. The 1871 Census is the one with the surname shown as Eacrett on ancestry, it took me a while to sort that one out! William is recorded as 12, the estimated birth yr is 1859 and he is living with his widowed mother, Sarah. Yet, I am convinced this is 'my' family! William's older sisters were probably, by now, married or in service following their Father's death. No mention of Alexander, so Darksecretz's discovery of his death in 1863 indicates this brother died in infancy/at birth.

Thanks for that discovery of Alexander's death, I will investigate it further. I had often wondered where the name Alexander came from in both my late brother's and grandfather's names - they were each William James Alexander! Grandfather was the eldest child of William (1860)

Angela

Comment

no worries about the finding of the death, it just puzzled me that I couldn't find Alexander in the census, [and yes I did find them eventually mistranscribed in 1871..lol]

sometimes you need to 'hang about' after you have posted as sometimes the replies can come thick and fast.

I would think that the name Alexander was reused and a sort of 'tribute' to his brother that died.. [not uncommon in families either to do this, or rename children after a child that has died]

I do hope that the cert comes quickly and that you share the findings with us :smilee:
                                    Julie

Comment

Yes, I'll let you know - whichever way it turns out!

Angela

Comment

:smilee:
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X