could SKS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• could SKS

please x-ref this for me on Scotlands People and tell me if the mothers name is Christina or Catherine please,

I have a marriage for Jessie the daughter and it says that her mothers name is Catherine yet I cannot find a George & Catherine in the census together, and I can't see if they are on the 1911 Scottish census either. I have found George in 1901 with his parents and some of his children, but not the wife.. my head hurts!
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

I can do a xref on Scotlands People for you I am a member of Ancestry worldwide but I can only access you link via the Aussie on so can you please give me some more info and I will have a lok on SP.Liz

Comment

Is this the same family in 1901
      Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

if so presume Christina's maiden name is Steel ??
      which matches a marriage on SP -
      1881 George Matthew / Christina Steel - St Andrew Edinburgh

Is the marriage certificate for Jessie a Scottish one, if so does it give her mother's maiden name.
      Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by liz hutchison View Post
        I can do a xref on Scotlands People for you I am a member of Ancestry worldwide but I can only access you link via the Aussie on so can you please give me some more info and I will have a lok on SP.Liz
        thanks Liz, I have Ancestry WW too.. :smilee: I need to find some details..

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
        Is this the same family in 1901
        Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

if so presume Christina's maiden name is Steel ??
        which matches a marriage on SP -
        1881 George Matthew / Christina Steel - St Andrew Edinburgh

Is the marriage certificate for Jessie a Scottish one, if so does it give her mother's maiden name.
        now I am even more confused Elaine.. yes the marriage for Jessie is scots, and she gives her mothers name as Catherine Steel.. [1903- to James Cassie Stuart]

I hadn't found that census with Christina on Elaine..

I have been looking at this and i'm getting in such a muddle with it!!.. lol..
        Julie

Comment

That certainly looks like the right family. Maybe the "Catherine" on Jessie's MC was an error ???
          Elaine

Comment

Name: George Matthew
            Estimated Birth Year:abt 1862
            Relationship: Head
            Spouse's name : Christina Matthew
            Where born: Edinburgh
            Registration number: 685/3
            Registration district: Canongate
            Civil parish: Edinburgh Canongate
            County: Midlothian
            Address: 273 Canongate 4 Morocco Close
            ED: 79
            Household schedule number: 13
            Line: 8

is that any good to you Liz?
            Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
              That certainly looks like the right family. Maybe the "Catherine" on Jessie's MC was an error ???
              mmm could be.. maybe they separated then?
              Julie

Comment

Will go and have a look, Liz

Comment

Will go and have a look, Liz
                  thank you
                  Julie

Comment

Hi had a look at both first names and at Christina Birth and Marriage she was born Christina Steel father William Steel mather Jane, Christina was born 14th May 1862.Had a good look at Jessie Marriage to James Cassie Stuart and she does put her mothers name as Christine might just be a clerical error on the person writing it. Have done a lot of Scottish research as my husband was from the highlands and have come across a lot of this name differences. Just like my husband he was born James Barrie Hutchison and no one where he comes from call him James it was Barrie. As in a nother relative was called Nan her real name was Elizabeth. Liz

Comment

what about jessie's birth julie? have you got that? jessie and janet seem interchangeable in scotland too.

Comment

Good clue so just had a look at Jessie birth 8th Feb 1884 mother is Christina nee Steel. Liz

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                          what about jessie's birth julie? have you got that? jessie and janet seem interchangeable in scotland too.
                          I had forgotten about that Kyle.. for the reminder.

Hi had a look at both first names and at Christina Birth and Marriage she was born Christina Steel father William Steel mather Jane, Christina was born 14th May 1862.Had a good look at Jessie Marriage to James Cassie Stuart and she does put her mothers name as Christine might just be a clerical error on the person writing it. Have done a lot of Scottish research as my husband was from the highlands and have come across a lot of this name differences. Just like my husband he was born James Barrie Hutchison and no one where he comes from call him James it was Barrie. As in a nother relative was called Nan her real name was Elizabeth. Liz
                          mm I do have JCS marriage to JM,

Good clue so just had a look at Jessie birth 8th Feb 1884 mother is Christina nee Steel. Liz
                          but I got a bit confused when the census said that Christina's sister was a 'step' in one census and then not a step child in others.. it doesn't help either when they keep reusing the same names.... grr

1871:http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...=try&h=3148706
                          Source Citation: Parish: Edinburgh South Leith; ED: 99; Page: 1; Line: 5; Roll: CSSCT1871_160.

1881: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...=try&h=2832065
                          Source Citation: Parish: St Andrew; ED: 14; Page: 26; Line: 15; Roll: cssct1881_284.
                          Julie

Comment

In my Scottish part of the family I have found that Christina......Chirsty.....Christian....and Catherine are interchangable.

Same for.........Jane....Jean...and Jeanie.

Comment

Originally posted by flashieboy View Post
                              In my Scottish part of the family I have found that Christina......Chirsty.....Christian....and Catherine are interchangable.

Same for.........Jane....Jean...and Jeanie.
                              oh right, thanks Ruth.. why do they have to complicate things???? lol
                              Julie

Comment

i did wonder if christina and catherine were interchangeable. that it quite interesting. now that it's mentioned that makes sense with a baron's daughter in my tree that in different sources is either catherine or christina.

christina has so many variants in scotland: christian, christianna, kristy, chirsty, xtina.......

Comment

Working...
                                X