Trying to find William Collier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to find William Collier

Can anyone help me find William Collier in the 1841 and 1851 census.

He is born around 1814 in what looks like Golborne/Lowton, Lancs area, this info from later census. In 1860 he is living in Bury and getting married. but before that date I can't find him.

Anne

Can to post whom he was married to even her first name please so I can do search, Liz

Comment

I can't find him on any census. I did find a William Collier born c 1811 Lowton married to an Ellen. Is this him?
      Moggie

Comment

Put into your google search William Collier born 1814, golbourne another site will come up with the info you need as some one else is doing research on him and it will give you the anwer to the 1851 census including his cousin he was living with at the time. Liz

Comment

He was married to Ellen Taylor but I have all the details him after he married I just can't find him before then he has an adopted son with him later called Hamlet Collier who I think is his nephew from the Warrington area but not managed to link the two in

Comment

Originally posted by insane40 View Post
            He was married to Ellen Taylor but I have all the details him after he married I just can't find him before then he has an adopted son with him later called Hamlet Collier who I think is his nephew from the Warrington area but not managed to link the two in

Have you found Hamlet in 1881 census, back with his parents?
            Lauren =)

Comment

If that thread on GR is yours Anne, how did you go on at the Bury archives in March 2009? Did you find anything useful?
              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Yes Lauren I found Hamlet back with his family in 1881 still wondering why he was with William and family in that earlier census. William died in 1875 so I am assuming that is why Hamlet was back with his family in 1881. Yes that was me on the GR thread and had no luck at the archives. On his marriage certificate William gives his father's name as James Ratcliffe is this really his father or did he make a father up and clearly if he is his father his parents weren't married. I keep trying to link he Warrington Colliers with the William in Bury but haven't managed to confirm they are all related - very frustrating. Thanks for everyones help
                Anne

Comment

Just had a look at Hamlet Collier his parents are Henry and Ellen Collier so he is a either nephew to William or second cousin. Hamlet was born 5th Feb 1867.Liz

Comment

I have tried to find Hamlet after 1881 but he disappears there is a death for a Hamlet Collier in 1929 but where was he before that? I will try going back for Henry and Ellen see where that goes to, I did try before but couldn't find where they were related. Thanks everyone for your help

Comment

Hamlet is here in 1891. Its clearly written as Hamblet Collier but Ancestry have transcribed it as Hamblet Birchall.

RG12, piece 3072 folio 29, page 11

There are some other Colliers on the same page
                      Jackie

Comment

And here I think in 1901 transcribed as Hamblet Callies

RG13, piece 3583, folio 39, page 15
                        Jackie

Comment

No wonder I couldnt find him, thanks so much Jackie, am just trying to go back with his parents to see if I can link in with my William

Comment

Have you discounted the marriage on 5th December 1825 at St St Mary,St Dennis and St Geaorge in Manchester of James Ratcliffe to Martha Collier then Anne? It sounds a good bet to follow if he gave as father as James Ratcliffe when he married.
                            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Hamblet is here in 1911 as a cousin with some other Colliers. Don't know if that helps to work out how he's related

As the older Collier who married in 1860 wasn't young at marriage, does the marriage cert say what his marital status was?
                              Jackie

Comment

I don't know what to think Chrissie, it looks like that marriage could be his family marrying after he's born, but how do I prove it is them?

Comment

When William married in 1860 he gives his marital status as single so think he was just a late starter

Comment

Working...
                                  X