Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

West Yorkshire Archive Service ~ alien registration records from Leeds City Police

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Yorkshire Archive Service ~ alien registration records from Leeds City Police

One of the Jewish research Rootsweb mailing lists alerted me to this:
    West Yorkshire Archive Service Blog

In the summer of 2012, West Yorkshire Archive Service received a deposit of alien registration records from Leeds City Police comprising almost 3000 cards and files relating to immigrants registering in the Leeds area between c1850 – c1960. These have been catalogued, conserved and are now available for the public to view. Perhaps one of your ancestors can be found in these files? ...

I haven't actually managed how to suss out getting at the relevant bit of their catalogue, but I might have another go later.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Obviously I wasn't the only one who had a problem locating the records. Someone else on the British Jewry mailing list was a bit more persistent:

It took me awhile to find how to access this list, so perhaps this will
    be helpful to others: If you go directly to

http://www.catalogue.wyjs.org.uk/Tre...key=WYPLE%2F19

you will see an alphabetical list of the persons in the alien files.

In order to get to that page, I typed "alien files" into the
    search box, then clicked on "section" under "Level."
    Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
    X