Scottish dead end - John Foster Hoey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish dead end - John Foster Hoey

I've come to a complete full stop on this one. This the sum total of my info on him:
    John Foster Hoey was born 13 Oct 1844 in Magherafelt, Co Derry, the son of a Wesleyan Methodist minister. (Parents: William Hoey and Jane Barnett) He married Norah Elizabeth Byrne in Belfast at some time in 1873. In the 1881 Scottish census he is a 36 year old accountant and living with Norah and her seven year old nephew Denis Byrne at 435 St Vincent Street, Anderston, Glasgow.

That's the last record I have of them. Any ideas as to what next?
    Thanks,
    Christine
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

have you looked for him in later census? in scotland? does he show up in the irish census of 1901/1911? have you checked the deaths index for scotland? for ireland? have you traced his wife to see where she ends up?

Comment

Very strange - they seem to disappear.

No deaths on SP etc, census nil, I am a bit stumped but will keep looking.

Hoey is a name that could be changed, which doesn't help (Howie, perhaps).
      There is a person on GR with a John Hoey b c 1843, Co Antrim, but perhaps it is the posters??
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

In the Irish 1901 census in Cork there is a possibility but ages out slightly and John has put Fermanagh as birth place. Whoever has transcribed the census has put John W Hoey and Norah E Hoey. If you look at the image I think it says Norah L but the writing is not good, so maybe...

Comment

Frazzled,
          I' m so glad you looked at 1901 irish census. I had done so and am not sure how i missed this one - I think you may be on to something re the Cork entry. The age of 56 is correct as he would have been 57 later that year. As for him giving Fermanagh as birthplace, its understandable in that the family would have moved around every three years or so as part of his fathers ministry.
          You're right about the handwriting on the household return page and I initially thought it was a bit of wishful thinking on my part that the middle initial could be an F but if you look at the buildings return for house 59 at http://www.census.nationalarchives.i.../nai000526838/
          his name is definitely down as John F Hoey. The family seem to have generally been pretty precise about names as there seems to be a convention of incorporating various significant surnames as middle names. Accountant in 1881 to company secretary in 1901 seems feasible and of course the religion of Wesleyan Methodist is correct.
          is there enough here to say that it is him? What do you think?
          Unfortunately, the next logical step in the trail then goes cold again - I can't find either him or Norah in 1911 irish census, although i haven't yet tried any variations on spelling of the surname - previously I've come across mistranscriptions of Hory, Hoay and Hooey. It is of course possible that they were dead, or on the move again and no longer in Ireland ...
          As usual, loads more questions arise .. Would there be a way of following up the accountancy clue? Would there be some sort of accountants' institute back in the 1870s /1880s in Ireland and/or Scotland? And what was the company in Cork for which he was company secretary in 1901 ...I feel some creative googling coming on unless there are any suggestions out there for a more focused follow-up
          Thanks for all the help so far ...
          Christine
          Researching:
          HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Sorry Herky,
            Not used to all the abbreviations yet - what does GR stand for?
            Thanks,
            Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
              Sorry Herky,
              Thanks,
              genes reunited

Comment

Sorry Herky,
                Thanks,
                Sorry - Genes reunited, as already mentioned, thanks kylejustin.
                Well done Frazzled - I looked at the Irish censuses but somehow missed it too.
                herky
                Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Could this be Norah Hoey's death - Norah HOEY aged 43, born circa 1876
                  Death - Jan/Feb/Mar 1919 aged 43, Tullamore, Ireland,
                  Volume 3
                  Page 516
                  herky

Comment

Have tried to find out more about John but not very successful at the moment. Will have another go later as have to go now.

Herky is talking about Genes Reunited (sorry bit behind see you already know!!)
                    Last edited by Frazzled; 12-02-13, 16:48.

Comment

Herky,
                      no they only married in 1873!
                      Researching:

Comment

Herky,
                        no they only married in 1873!
                        oops sorry - picked up on the wrong year - thought it was too good to be true.
                        herky

Comment

Following on from Frazzle's detective work re 1901 Irish Census, placing him on Western Road, Cork, I've found a little further info on the same man. (On the balance of probabilities, I'm assuming that this was John Foster Hoey)
                          Found on
                          Explore Cork's rich history with Cork Past and Present - a service of Cork City Libraries

1891 Guy's Cork Almanac pages 270 and 283
                          J F HOEY 4 Eglinton Place, Western Road, Cork, rateable value of house £22

I can't find him in the almanacs for 1884, 1907 or 1913 which are also available on this website.

Christine
                          Researching:

Comment

Can find no trace of John or Norah in the 1911 census. Wonder if they left Ireland between 1901 and 1907 as you can't find them in the 1907 almanac.

They both could have died before 1911 of course but not having a lot of luck with that
                            Last edited by Frazzled; 13-02-13, 19:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Frazzled View Post
                              Can find no trace of John or Norah in the 1911 census. Wonder if they left Ireland between 1901 and 1907 as you can't find them in the 1907 almanac.

They both could have died before 1911 of course but not having a lot of luck with that
                              I'm not finding any CRI death registrations that seem to fit either (although not having any idea of possible place doesnt help) so yes I was wondering if they might have upped sticks again between 1901 and 1907. Where is the problem! Scotland again? England?
                              I haven't ever seen the slightest hint of it, (but then again, I havent been looking) but his youngest sister emigrated to Canada about 1905, another brother and his family, together with a sister who was roughly the same age as JFH emigrated to Vancouver in 1907 and his youngest brother in 1921 so perhaps UK outgoing and Canadian arrivals might be worth a trawl. It's a shot in the dark, but perhaps I'll have a look next week when I'm back from a trip...

thanks for your continued interest ..

Christine
                              Researching:

Comment

these might be connected to you..

Julie
                                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Following on from Frazzle's detective work re 1901 Irish Census, placing him on Western Road, Cork, I've found a little further info on the same man. (On the balance of probabilities, I'm assuming that this was John Foster Hoey)
                                  Found on
                                  Explore Cork's rich history with Cork Past and Present - a service of Cork City Libraries

1891 Guy's Cork Almanac pages 270 and 283
                                  J F HOEY 4 Eglinton Place, Western Road, Cork, rateable value of house £22

I can't find him in the almanacs for 1884, 1907 or 1913 which are also available on this website.

Christine
                                  oooh just looking at something it might be of interest:

a Nora HOEY marries in 1914 in CORK

Name: Nora Hoey
                                  Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1914
                                  Registration district: Cork
                                  Volume: 5
                                  Page Number: 137
                                  FHL Film Number:101262

Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                    Hi Julie, thanks for the link but I'm not currently subscribed to ancestry - am currently using Ancestry Institution via my local library. I can't cut and paste this link into Institution, so please could you let me know the search terms you used to find it so I can view it next time I'm at the library...
                                    Thanks,
                                    Christine
                                    Researching:

Comment

Hi Julie, thanks for the link but I'm not currently subscribed to ancestry - am currently using Ancestry Institution via my local library. I can't cut and paste this link into Institution, so please could you let me know the search terms you used to find it so I can view it next time I'm at the library...
                                      Thanks,
                                      Christine
                                      Hi Christine, it is a family tree, this could be accessed via www.mundia.com [ancestrys sister site, where all ancestry public trees are available to see/view without a subscription] you will need to register, [though you can login with your Ancestry 'account']

you should be able to search for it using 'Ireland Trip 1926' as search criteria.. the tree owner is 'nancycooney1031'

you could also search for 'Thomas "Tommy" Hickey' b. Birth 11 Oct 1910 in Castledermot, Kildare, Ireland
                                      Death 30 Oct 1983 in Castledermot, Kildare, Ireland.

that is also from the same tree.
                                      Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                        Hi Julie,
                                        Thanks for the link. Apologies for the delay in responding but I've only just been able to explore this tree yesterday. unfortunately, it offers no connection to my ancestors.
                                        Christine
                                        Researching:

Comment

Working...
                                        X