Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army Reserves activity

Hi

Does anyone know the Army reserves activities around the 1900's? I cannot find my GG Grandad in 1901 and from his service records I can see he was with the reserves, but ive no idea where to look for him.

Many thanks
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Generally speaking when a regular soldier was released to Army Reserve service he went back to "normal" civilian life - but remained liable for call up in the event of hostilities until the period he was required to serve as a reservist expired.

Where did he end his regular service - and when?

Comment

All reservists were liable to annual training, which usually lasted for a couple of weeks or so, but there was a war in South Africa 1900-1902, which would have resulted in some reservists being recalled for service as previously mentioned.

merleyone

Comment

He originally enlists in 1885 is discharged in 1897 in the 12th Lancers and enlists again in 1898 into the army reserves (records state AR Sec D). In March 1900 he is at home in London as he marries and marriage states his occupation as Railway Plate Layer. He enlists again in 1903 in Ballincollig into the 5th Lancers. Im just wondering what on earth makes him go to Ireland, unless he is following something and where he is in 1901
        Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Can you pin him down/narrow the window of missing time by using the birth of any children?

STG
          Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

The Boer War 1899-1901 My Grandfather was a reservist called up for this active service, I just got his details this week.

Edna

Comment

Have you checked the 1901 Irish census?

Interesting site about Ballingcollig Military Barracks

Heritage of Ballincollig, Co. Cork by Margaret Jordan

Comment

Working...
              X