Nash and Penny in USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nash and Penny in USA

Nellie May Nash was born in 1885 in Horspath, Oxfordshire, In 1905, aged 20,now a school teacher, she travels to New York (http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...pid=4032007645) On the form she states that her passage has been paid for by her uncle, and she will be travelling on to San Diego to stay with this uncle, W.I. Penny.

Well this surprised me to say the least. Uncle is William Isaac Penny, last seen in the 1891 census living with wife Laurina in London. He is currently working as an insurance agent, but had previously been a photographic clerk. http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=20370335

Laurina is next seen in 1901 back in Oxford with her daughter, saying she is a widow. Therefore I had assumed that William died sometime between 1891 and 1901 but obviously not!

So can anyone find anything more on either William Isaac, or Nellie May. Presumably his family must have known he was alive if she went out to him. Considering that Williams brother was one of the biggest con-artists around, was shipped off to Australia where he was in and out of jail for 60 years, but managed nevertheless to marry 7 times, at least 5 of them bigamously, I do feel a bit sorry for his parents!

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Ok, more and more confused - I've now found an entry for the birth of Amy Winnifred Penny, parents William Isaac Penny and Lorena Emily nee Hughes on 18 mar 1889 - in Toronto Canada!!

Aaagh!! When did Canada come into it? And where did Amy go?
    Last edited by ozgirl; 10-02-13, 18:25.
    Linda

Comment

Just to add to the confusion, I found that Laurina Emily Penny dying at 16 Park Road, Crowes, Isle of Wight 7th August 1931 leaving 980 pounds and 11 pennys to her daughter Ivy Laurina Penny a spinster probate was granted to Ivy on 1st October 1931. Its ays she is a widow.lizzy

Comment

Thanks Liz - I had found daughter Ivy Laurina before, but hadn't the full address of her death. Wonder why Laurina went to Isle of Wight? Maybe Ivy was living there.

I wonder if William and Laurina split up and it was easier for Laurina to say she was a widow, especially if William was in the US and so wouldn't be around, so went home back to Oxford with daughter Ivy.
        Last edited by ozgirl; 10-02-13, 23:01. Reason: To stop it being confusing!
        Linda

Comment

Here we go again not to confuse you but this is also what I found.
          Boarder Crossing to Canada.
          Nellie Nash crossed the Boarder April 1907
          aged 22
          Occupation Office Clerk
          Wiinipeg Canada
          Passaged paid by Aunty and Uncle,Final Destination Oaklands
          Joining Aunty and Uncle
          Seaport Entry Montreal.
          Yep Ivy was living there Lizzy

Comment

Have found

Ivy going home to mother in Oxford

Border Crossings: From Canada to U.S., 1895-1954
            Name: Ivy Laurina Penny
            Arrival Date: 17 Jul 1912
            Port of Arrival: Quebec, Canada
            Ship Name: Royal George
            Port of Departure: Bristol and Avonmouth
            Residence Country: England
            Birth Date: abt 1885
            Birth Country: England
            Race/Nationality: English
            Record Type: Manifests
            Line Number: 26

England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1966
            Name: Ivy Laurina Penny
            Probate Date: 10 Oct 1961
            Death Date: 15 Feb 1961
            Death Place: Isle of Wight
            Registry: London, England
            Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
            http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Death for one of the children

"Ontario Deaths,1869-1937 and Overseas Deaths, 1939-1947"
              name: Amy Winnifred Penny
              event: Death
              event date: 27 Feb 1890
              event place: Toronto, York, Ontario
              birthplace: Toronto
              estimated birth year: 1890
              reference number: yr 1890 cn 20543
              film number: 1853535
              digital folder number: 4173800
              image number: 1245
              Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                Thanks Liz - I had found daughter Ivy Laurina before, but hadn't the full address of her death. Wonder why she went to Isle of Wight? Maybe Ivy was living there. I wonder if William and she split up and it was easier to say she was a widow, especially if William was in the US and so wouldn't be around.
                You might find something useful here, if she were buried in the IoW: http://www.isle-of-wight-fhs.co.uk/mis_bis.htm

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks for that everyone - I thought it was likely that Amy had died, but couldn't find any record of it - so in Feb 1890, they are still in Toronto, but a year later, they are in London for the census.

Liz, where did you find that for the border crossing - did it say that her aunt was Ivy, as I didn't think that Ivy married, plus Ivy was Nellie's cousin anyway

Thanks for the link Christine, will have a look.
                  Linda

Comment

Couldn't find anything relevant myself but you might find something here: http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/index.jsp

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

just been looking at

Border Crossings: From Canada to U.S., 1895-1954
                      Name: Nellie Nash
                      Arrival Date: Apr 1907
                      Port of Arrival: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
                      Residence Country: Canada
                      Birth Date: abt 1885
                      Birth Country: England
                      Race/Nationality: English
                      Record Type: Manifests
                      Line Number: 20

can't make out the name after aunt and uncle

but have found

name : Nellie Nash
                      event: Census
                      event date: 1906
                      event place: 3F, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
                      marital status : Single
                      relationship to head : Boarder
                      birthplace : England
                      estimated birth year : 1885
                      household number: 214
                      Elaine

Comment

Now this is interesting:

Searching on passenger lists, just using Nellie May, I came across an entry for a Nellie May Earl going to Honolulu from California in 1922. She is born in Oxford, England, on 19 July 1855 - mine is born in Horspath, Oxfordshire (just outside Oxford) in Sep Q 1885. On the entry for her return to California, she states she has nationality through her marriage on Jan 17.1917.

Then on the 1920 census, husband Jacob Earl, she is his 2nd wife, there is a link to a public tree on Ancestry, which gives her name as "Nellie Mae Nash" !! Surely this is too much of a coincidence. Could it be her?
                        Linda

Comment

Success - look what I found!

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XLH7-KSD

It looks like her first husband was John Campbell Black.
                          Linda

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                            Now this is interesting:

Searching on passenger lists, just using Nellie May, I came across an entry for a Nellie May Earl going to Honolulu from California in 1922. She is born in Oxford, England, on 19 July 1855 - mine is born in Horspath, Oxfordshire (just outside Oxford) in Sep Q 1885. On the entry for her return to California, she states she has nationality through her marriage on Jan 17.1917.

Then on the 1920 census, husband Jacob Earl, she is his 2nd wife, there is a link to a public tree on Ancestry, which gives her name as "Nellie Mae Nash" !! Surely this is too much of a coincidence. Could it be her?
                            That looks extremely possible. I'd definitely take her, if she were mine; though I would make sure that I had a good "audit trail" to unravel things if something later proved it to be wrong.

Christine

PS - The extra info does make it pretty definite!
                            Last edited by Christine in Herts; 11-02-13, 13:22.

Comment

Yes - I forgot to say that her parents are the ones named on the FamilySearch record, so there is no doubt. No to just track down William Isaac.
                              Linda

Comment

Elaine - looking at that record you found, border crossing in Apr 1907, I think it says Aunt and Uncle Geo von Werder. There is a George Von Werder and wife Dorothy (?) living in Oakland in 1910 census, but I'm blowed if I can work out any connection. Also it looks as though George remarries (to Emma) in 1919, so can find no other trace of Dorothy, or daughter Rose.
                                Linda

Comment

Here's a surprise for you.
                                  The San Francisco call., October 06, 1897, Page 7.
                                  "New Divorce Suits.
                                  W.J.Penny against Laurina Emily Penny for desertion"

I'll let you get a copy of it (the search term is highlighted, you may wish to try and get a plain version), and perhaps search further among the San Francisco newspapers for more.
                                  Go to> http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/
                                  Search for> Laurina
                                  State> California
                                  Should be the second in the list of results.
                                  Last edited by keldon; 11-02-13, 16:11.
                                  Phil
                                  historyhouse.co.uk
                                  Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Wonderful find, off for a read. Many thanks!

Interesting that he was divorcing her for desertion, as he seems to have been the one travelling around! Didn't know that he was in San Francisco before - new areas to search.
                                    Linda

Comment

I thought it was Von Werder, thanks for that;D
                                      Last edited by Elaine; 11-02-13, 21:53.
                                      Elaine

Comment

I keep looking at these census returns - 1910, William Penny and wife Celeste and 2 children in San Francisco http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=1674514, and the same couple again in 1930 in San Diego - http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=92120686.

A lot of things seem to match up, but there are also some inconsistencies. Williams dob and place of birth are close enough, but the date of immigration is a problem. However, I can't find travel dates for any William Penny that would match. In 1910 they say that they have been married for 13 years, and the children are Williams step-children. However, I found Celeste by herself (as Lesta) in 1900, with 3 children (a younger one Gladys) in San Francisco, and on that she says she has been married 10 years.

Also on the 1910, William says his father was born in France and his mother in England. In 1930, his father is born in England and his mother in Northern Ireland! Also, can nor find anything more on the children, Elsa May and Guy.

This is the time-line so far
                                        William married Laurina in England in 1880, their daughter Ivy is born in 1881. Sometime before 1889 they travel to Toronto where in 1889 another daughter, Amy is born. Amy dies in Toronto in 1890. In 1891 Laurina and William are in London, Ivy is with her maternal grandparents in Oxford (did Ivy go to Canada with them?).

William goes back to either Canada/USA and in 1897 files for divorce. Could he have met Celeste in the early 90's, as their possible 1st child was born in 1892 or 1894 , and then Guy in 1893/1895. Another inconsistency is in 1900 the father of Celeste's children is said to have been born in England, but in 1910 he now comes from Vermont. The last child Gladys was born in 1898 - did they marry by then? Had William gone to San Diego by then?

We know my William Penny was in San Francisco in 1897 when he filed for divorce, but by 1905 when Nellie went out he was supposedly in San Diego. However when Nellie goes to visit him from Canada in 1907 she says he is in Oakland, which is in San Francisco.

I cannot find any record that would tie in with William coming to the States - did they change details so they couldn't be traced.

Sorry this is so long, but if anyone can find anything to either confirm or prove anything wrong, I'd love to hear it!
                                        Linda

Comment

Working...
                                        X