william shaw (Scotland)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• william shaw (Scotland)

Hello im new so please bear that in mind i need hep to find william shaw born 1816 aprox i found him in scottland in kelton castle douglasfound his wife agnes sloan and his 2 sons but he dies in 1841 as there is no records for his death or marrige im stuck his wife and 2 children are living at her mothers boarding house in1851 can any one help
    Thanks

Hi there, I'm afraid that this is in the wrong section, it needs to be moved over to Research. I'm sure one of the admin can help us there. P.S. Welcome to the site.
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

You say that William Shaw dies in 1841 - how do you know this? Or do you mean you cannot find him after 1841.
      Do you have the image for the 1851 census which shows Agnes living with Margaret Sloan. If so, what does it give for Agnes' marital status - married/unmarried/widowed?

.. and have moved your thread to our Research section where hopefully some of the members will be able to help!
      Elaine

Comment

Thankyou im new to coputers too ill try and find the right place
        Irene

Comment

I have the 1851 census and she is a widow also have birth for his son william born in december 1841
          They all live in the boarding house
          Irene

Comment

I can't see any marriage for William and Agnes, and no obvious death for William. He gives his occupation on the 1841 as a Travelling Mer(chant) so he may not have died close to home!

Hope you don't mind, I have added Scotland to your thread title. We have a number of members who are quite experienced with Scottish research so hopefully it may get their attention!
            Elaine

Comment

Thats great thanks im very greatfull i will try with the other side of the family the fowlers in yorkshire might have more luck
              Thanks again Irene

Comment

Hopefully someone will come up with some ideas for finding out something about the Scottish side.
                Start a new thread if you want help with your Fowlers.
                Elaine

Comment

Hi, I had a few credits left for Scotland's People so did a few searches.
                  Found death record for Williams wife Agnes.
                  She died 6am 29 September 1875 at Marle Street,Castle Douglas,Kelton,Kirkcudbrightshire.
                  She was aged 57 years.The daughter of James Sloan (Farm servant) & Margaret Wilson.Both deceased.
                  She was shown as being the widow of William Shaw a Hawker.
                  Cause of death was Exposure to cold while in a state of Intoxication.
                  Her son John was the informant.

In some of the later census records her son John is shown as being a Blacksmith/whitesmith living with his wife & family
                  at Marle St,Castle Douglas.
                  I have had a look at the Pre 1855 M I,s for the area and the is no headstone recorded for William.
                  Rgds Matt
                  My avatar is my fathers father,name unknown.............................

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Muir View Post
                    Hi, I had a few credits left for Scotland's People so did a few searches.
                    Found death record for Williams wife Agnes.
                    She died 6am 29 September 1875 at Marle Street,Castle Douglas,Kelton,Kirkcudbrightshire.
                    She was aged 57 years.The daughter of James Sloan (Farm servant) & Margaret Wilson.Both deceased.
                    She was shown as being the widow of William Shaw a Hawker.
                    Cause of death was Exposure to cold while in a state of Intoxication.
                    Her son John was the informant.

In some of the later census records her son John is shown as being a Blacksmith/whitesmith living with his wife & family
                    at Marle St,Castle Douglas.
                    I have had a look at the Pre 1855 M I,s for the area and the is no headstone recorded for William.
                    Rgds Matt

Thanks matt i had seen that record i also found his son johns marrige but i still dont know where william came from on the 1841 census it says he is not from scottland? So i dont know where to search next
                    Thanks again for trying

Comment

Matt do you think there may be a local newspaper that the boarding house may be mentioned in
                      Sorry just an ideahad another look at 1841 cen and it seems he was born in scotland also found this website called Scottland_Tinkers_Hawkers_L Archives there are a few shaws at castle douglas all living at same adress i wonder how i can look up the adress insted of the name
                      Ire
                      Last edited by juaquina24; 10-02-13, 21:44.

Comment

1841 Census.If I got these links correct they should show you more "SHAWS" staying at the home of
                        Margaret Sloan (Born Ireland) boarding house keeper,Cotton Street,Castle Douglas.
                        Ancestry® helps you understand your genealogy. A family tree takes you back generations—the world's largest collection of online family history records makes it easy to trace your lineage.

4 households away in Cotton Street,is William,Agnes & son John.
                        Ancestry® helps you understand your genealogy. A family tree takes you back generations—the world's largest collection of online family history records makes it easy to trace your lineage.

Matt
                        Last edited by Matt Muir; 10-02-13, 22:54. Reason: spelling error

Comment

Copy & paste didn't work on above post, so this is the first one

Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
                          SLOAN Margret F 70 Lodging House Keeper Ireland
                          PARATE Thomas M 80 Traveling Merchant Ireland Surname unclear, may be PORRATE
                          SHAW Robert M 20 Traveling Merchant Outside Census County (1841)
                          SHAW John M 30 Traveling Merchant Outside Census County (1841)
                          SHAW John M 4 England
                          GEDDIES William M 70 Traveling Merchant Ireland
                          JOHNSTON David M 20 Traveling Merchant Kirkcudbrightshire
                          CONGREE Peter M 15 Kirkcudbrightshire
                          SHAW Susan F 30 Traveling Merchant England
                          __________________________________________________ ___________

Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
                          SHAW William M 25 Traveling Merchant Outside Census County (1841)
                          SHAW Agness F 20 Kirkcudbrightshire
                          SHAW John M 22m Kirkcudbrightshire

Matt

Comment

Working...
                          X