The Genealogist's Internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Genealogist's Internet

I wasnt sure where to ask this so i posted here feel free to move if its in the wrong place

Since i purchased FTM i have recived a few promotional email's and this one has caught my attention and i would like to ask,

Has anyone purchased this ?
    Do you think it is a good guide for a 'learner' researcher?

Thanks for your time

I've had a few offers for this come through lately as well - but haven't purchased it or seen a copy.

However, having purchased similar books in the past I do find they soon become outdated. Obviously the principles of tracing your tree never change - start with yourself work back through the generations proving your findings with certificates & other resources. What does change of course is the type of records that become available on the internet, and this changes day by day as you can see if you read our Genealogy News or Family History Research sections of the forum. There is always notification of something new being added to the main sites such as Ancestry, Family Search, UKBMD, Findmypast, National Archives, etc., so any printed publication of internet resources soon gets out of date.

In my opinion (and blowing FTF's own trumpet) you are far better off reading through threads on here which will give you an insight as to what is available and what sort of records people are finding on the internet. Google, of course, is your best friend as always!

If a learner researcher needs help with general research methods, we have a number of research guides in the reference library, anything from "Getting Started", "Genealogy Software", "Using the Census", through to very detailed guides about Military research etc. Alongside the guides we have a number of sections/pages which give you links to external sites where resources can be found.

Click on the Reference Library tab on the navigation bar at the top of the screen, and take a look through the index (if you haven't already done so). The advantage of using our reference library is that, unlike a printed publication, we can keep it up to date adding new information when it becomes available - and it's FREE!
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elain

Comment

Working...
      X