No announcement yet.

Breakthrough Brickwall on my Lloyd Family Tree Shropshire Light Infantry 1895

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breakthrough Brickwall on my Lloyd Family Tree Shropshire Light Infantry 1895

I have just broken a long standing Brick Wall and need Military Help.

I looked on FS for Frank Vernon Llloyd b 1874 and found him in records Chelsea Pensioners, then I found him signing up at Allahabad India (his parents died and he was left an orphan) he had resided with his brother Edward Thomas Lloyd at Calcutta for four years, he joined the Kings, Shropshire Light Infantry in Calcutta.
    His records on FMP show 4 pages and he is know to his brother Edward Thomas Lloyd SS Estonia Liverpool OR51 living at Fell Street Kensington,Liverpool
    So now I know my Lloyd family bare Welsh not Indian as once suggested by a family member and My Arthur Cooper?Cowper? Lloyd Grandfather who Mother said served in the Boer war may have enlisted in India but married in Liverpool 1897.

Close to finding my birthplace of Edward Thomas Lloyd 1838-1840 railway clerk who married my Jane Wilson Lloyd born Scotland in Liverpool 1860 and went to live and work in India Allahabad with 6 children about 1865Through my India Lloyd family

What a turn up for you, Edna...Well Done!!

Looks like someone is serching along the same lines as yourself here.........

Jacky

Comment

Originally posted by Tilly Mint View Post
      What a turn up for you, Edna...Well Done!!

Looks like someone is serching along the same lines as yourself here.........

http://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazi...ic5607-10.html
      ditto what Jacky said Edna! well done! and it looks like there is a new branch appearing on your tree..
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I am in contact with Hannah Jackie and have brought her up to date with all of my findings so far and also got a new contact a few weeks ago on here who has given me family details from his line though he is very new to Family History and had no information that I could use other than he is from Edward Thomas Juniors line(a marine Engineer).
        I have found a marriage and a death in India for Frank Vernon Lloyd and cant find any offspring for him so I think that line ends, but I would like to find out if my Grandfather also joined in India at some stage before coming to England.

I was so excited at these finding that I was up until about 4am but due to printer playing up all I have is my own scribbled messages.

All due to those free FMP credits on here.

So if Frank V Lloyd joined the Kings Shropshire LIght Infantry in India would the choice of unit be because of a link to Wales?

Edna

Comment

We maybe need to look at the timeline for this regiment, Edna and we can see where they were.

I was told the regiment went around recruiting ......maybe they were in Wales ??
          Jacky

Comment

F.V. Lloyd joined up in India Calcutta in Oct 1895 Jackie and he died India age 64

Edna

Comment

Comment

I'm just wondering, Edna, my GGrandfather was in the army when he went to India where he married and this tells the REG he was in, i have his 1st born's birth cert shortly after his arrival and he is in a different REG, he goes on to join another REG having over 20 odd yrs service, he then left the army and joined the Police - he died when he retired. I wonder if F.V. Lloyd was already in the army and changed REGs at a later date....into the Kings Shropshire LIght Infantry
                Jacky

Comment

No Jackie he was 21 when he joined up and had no previous trade and the records would have shown he was in a previous regiment, he did 12 years in that regiment. He was born in India too as his parents were Railway Employees at Jublepore and Allahabad after they left England c1865, 3 children born Liverpool and three children born India I have all the baptism records.
                  F.V. Lloyd went to the Famous Lawrence School India while my GF went to a little church orphan school 500 miles away from him, another brother went back to UK and was schooled in IOW age 8 all the jigsaw pieces are slowly unfolding for this family but it has been long time coming.

Edna

Comment

Edna, we are close with our genealogy but so far.....my GGrandfather was a Police Sergent in Jubbulpore on the railways, the 2nd wife he married was b in Allahabad - i wonder if he was working there as well?
                    Some of the nieces were b in Calcutta......I think he was a "bit of a roamer" most of his 7 children were born in different places in India......Lol

I'm glad it's all "coming together" for you !!
                    Jacky

Comment

Don't know whether you've seen this, but Ancestry has an AC Lloyd of 1st Battalion Kings Liverpool on the Medal Roll for the Boer War. Full name is not given. However, his Regimental no is 2823. FMP has an Arthur Lloyd in the British Army Service Records with this Reg no - born 1871 Naini Tal, Bengal Presidency. Worth a look!
                      The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                      Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Ann He is born Naini Tal 1872 Bengal Presidency so will have a look on FMP but dont have Ancestry sub for the other record

Edna

Comment

FMP has only shown me a record for Arthur Lloyd and says
                          The National Archives WO127. Nominal rolls colonial units. and nothing else I dont seem able to see the record you saw Ann and I looked at it twice at 30 credits so wasted them.

Edna

Comment

Originally posted by clematised View Post
                            Thanks Ann He is born Naini Tal 1872 Bengal Presidency so will have a look on FMP but dont have Ancestry sub for the other record

Edna
                            Hope someone looks in and is able to look on Ancestry for you, Edna....and it's your man !
                            Last edited by Tilly Mint; 10-02-13, 18:46.
                            Jacky

Comment

Edna

He's in the British Army Service records section on FMP as I said - sorry, haven't got a sub, but here's the entry

LLOYD Arthur 1871 Naini Tal, Bengal Presidency WO97 Chelsea
                              Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Edna

Forgot to say - you need to look at the FMP record first, to see if it's him before checking Ancestry. The Ancestry record just gives initial, surname, Regiment, Rank, no and Boer War Medal entitlement - no personal info

Comment

I now have the record wasting credits but they were free so I am happy.

He enlisted at lucknow in 1889 then transferred to Colchester in 1892 so thats how he got to England.
                                  He got a clasp for Boer war Africa and he says he has an older sister name Lily in England I dont have her yet but will now find her.
                                  He named my Mother Lily so she is called after his sister, I have got lots to go on again so Thank you Ann and everyone for your help

Edna

Comment

Good news Edna!

Comment

Originally posted by clematised View Post
                                      I now have the record wasting credits but they were free so I am happy.

He enlisted at lucknow in 1889 then transferred to Colchester in 1892 so thats how he got to England.
                                      He got a clasp for Boer war Africa and he says he has an older sister name Lily in England I dont have her yet but will now find her.
                                      He named my Mother Lily so she is called after his sister, I have got lots to go on again so Thank you Ann and everyone for your help

Edna
                                      Yay....i'm chuffed for you !

Good find, Ann - Well Done
                                      Jacky

Comment

One thing that puzzles me is he says he has an older sister in England called Lily and I cant find a birth for Lily though Free BMD has one for Sept Q 1867 Liverpool but without buying a cert I need to find a baptism, all three boys born Liverpool were baptised at St Peter from 1860 and one son born aboard ship but no record 1870 Charles Underwood Lloyd baptism India but two more sons born India My Grandfather 1872 and Frank Vernon Lloyd 1874 in all six children all boys so where does sister Lily come in?

Edna

Comment

Working...
                                        X